Contracts

Derek32
Level 2
Meridian, ID

Contracts

New to using AirBnb, have been using HomeAway for quite some time, which encourages short-term rental agreements. AirBnb seems to discourage the use of short-term rental agreements. I have a guest that booked our place and now doesn't like the short-term rental agreement and wants me to cancel reservation. I have offered to change the parts the agreement the guest does not like but she still wants to cancel. 

I am hesitant to cancel reservation since from what I can see on the AirBnb site, it penalizes us as hosts and we have taken our place off the market for her and we are just a few days away from her arrival - 2 days to be exact. 

How many of you rent your home without a rental agreement? This is a whole house we are renting. 

7 Replies 7
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Derek32 Many hosts ask guests to sign rental agreements / contracts and Airbnb is ok with that.  The key is to prominently describe the terms in your listing so that a guest can see right off what you are requiring before booking and to make sure that nothing in your contract violates Airbnb's policies.  For example, some hosts ask guests for a security deposit in cash upon arrival (nope, not allowed on Airbnb) or ask for credit card numbers so they can make charges for damages (all monetary transactions have to go through Airbnb except for Occupancy taxes).

If you describe your terms, which in most cases can be covered in the House Rules section, and you are compliant with Airbnb policy, there is no problem requesting a rental agreement.  

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/465/can-hosts-ask-guests-to-sign-a-contract

I hope this helps!

So do I need to post my entire agreement on my listing? I am not sure how to summarize it and get all the details in. I don't neccesarily want my agreement posted for the world to see. I would like that if someone is seriously interested in my place they can log-in, make sure their dates are available and part of the booking process is they can review the agreement prior to making booking final...Is this possible? 

@Derek32 Since you do not have Instant Book enabled you can create a message with the text of the rental agreement and save it to send to guests who make Inquiries or Reservation Requests prior to booking.  Here's how: 

http://blog.airbnb.com/messaging-made-easier

Be sure to watch the video. 

The rental contract is with Airbnb, not directly with the guest.  They eliminate this step which is the big difference between Airbnb and HomeAway.  That being said, Airbnb will not enforce any short term contract you require of a guest so they are kind of moot.  This means that the agreed upon reservation that is already booked through Airbnb is a legitimate reservation that you must honor.  Since you will not without the additional contract, you are cancelling the reservation and will, indeed, need to incur the penalties. https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/465/can-hosts-ask-guests-to-sign-a-contract

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

You do not have IB on and your listing mentions the contract and that they will see it before booking?

Not sure what went wrong.

My impression is that most rely on the AirBnB contract, lack of security deposit would worry me.

David

David - can you further explain, what is IB? 

When you state lack of secruity deposit would worry you, what do you mean? My understanding is AirBnb collects a security deposit and/or pre-authorizes a card in the amount that I stated in my listing. 

@Derek32 

IB = instant booking . Guest can book without asking you for the approval.

Airbnb pre-authorizes a card in the amount of security deposit that you stated in your listing.  BUT.... it is very hard to get anything if guest break something during his stay and doesn't agree to pay through resolution center. Airbnb usually keeps the side of a guest and that's a big big problem for all hosts. I would say it is the biggist problem.

You will find many threads here on Community center where guests has trashed the property and get away with it for free. Airbnb says that we are covered with security deposit and with 1.000.000 $ host guarantee but if you are veery lucky and you do your claim absolutly correctly you will maaaaybe get 1 cent for a dollar  (and spend to much time )

How are you satisfied with Home away?