Cancellation

Answered!
Fernando267
Level 2
Madrid, Spain

Cancellation

Hi everyone
My guest is in my apartment for 30 days. She just told me that she's going to leave because 4 days ago she had an issue with the key to open the gate of the garage and she thinks it's not acceptable. I provided her with a new key and a remote so the issue was fixed in less than 24 hours. Now, 4 days late, with the issue fixed, she's telling me that she's very disappointed and she has decided to leave TOMORROW and she asks me to refund her the rest of the stay. According to airbnb policy, I think it's not enough to cancel but I would ask the community if you had a similar case.
Thanks
Fernando

1 Best Answer
Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Fernando267 does she stay in your listing that has moderate cancellation policy or the one with flexible cancellation policy?

You can read more about the cancellation policy here > https://www.airbnb.com/home/cancellation_policies#moderate

If she stays at the one with moderate, she will get 50% of the remaining nights.

If she stays at the one with flexible, she will get 100% of the remaining nights.

Either way, you need to communicate to her that if she wants to cancel and want a refund, she will need to cancel it from her end using the airbnb system. Please make sure that you do not cancel on your own/from your side or accept any cancellation. There are list of penalties that host can get by cancelling a reservation, so make sure that you are not doing that.

More information regarding guest cancellation > https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/43/what-happens-if-my-guest-cancels

View Best Answer in original post

27 Replies 27
Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Fernando267 does she stay in your listing that has moderate cancellation policy or the one with flexible cancellation policy?

You can read more about the cancellation policy here > https://www.airbnb.com/home/cancellation_policies#moderate

If she stays at the one with moderate, she will get 50% of the remaining nights.

If she stays at the one with flexible, she will get 100% of the remaining nights.

Either way, you need to communicate to her that if she wants to cancel and want a refund, she will need to cancel it from her end using the airbnb system. Please make sure that you do not cancel on your own/from your side or accept any cancellation. There are list of penalties that host can get by cancelling a reservation, so make sure that you are not doing that.

More information regarding guest cancellation > https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/43/what-happens-if-my-guest-cancels

Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

If I were you @Fernando267 I would also send a summary (of what happened and what you would like her to do such as making the cancellation) to her using the airbnb messaging system to make sure that airbnb has this on the record.

Thanks for the feedback 

I'll tey to do get all the text messages into airbnb.

Fernando

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Fernando267 @Farah1

if she booked 30 days then it is a lease, long term stay, check the ABB policy , I am not sure but I think she can't get any refund

@Branka-and-Silvia0 right, it is long-term! @Fernando267 please refer to this long-term cancellation policy > https://www.airbnb.com/home/cancellation_policies#long-term

@Farah1 , thanks again. Very helpful to me

@Farah1 and @Branka-and-Silvia0

So this woman cancelled today and ABB has sent me a message confirming that she doesn't have any right for refund at all.

The reasons for living are that the key of the parking gate didn't work properly and it was a very huge inconvenience.. How do you suggest me to proceed? I've been renting my appartment for for years. All the reviews are very good and nobody has cancelled in anticipation. I am afraid of a bad review but I think she's kind of all over the place.Thanks in advance

Just ignore it, you will get weird guests, weird reviews whatever you do, even if you give her a refund she can still give you a negative review.

David

@Fernando267 based on what I know, guests will not be able to leave a review if the reservation status is cancelled.

@Fernando267 yes, long term has different cancelation policy, stay has to be canceled 30 days in advance 🙂

Parking gate was not a reason, it was just an excuse 🙂

@Branka-and-Silvia0, thanks for your feedback.

I will check out the ABB refund and cancellation policy

Fernando

Hi, 

I just posted my house on Airbnb less than 48 hrs ago.  I've been renting successfully through homeaway for 4 years.But since they have been bought by Expeida, things have become more difficult.  So I am new to this system or airbnb. Soon after I listed, I got a request before I had even put in my payment options. The guest called me. The reservation was for Labor Day which I usually get a premium price for. But I hadn't yet realized that I could change the cost/price directly on the calendar. She did not wish to pay the additonal amount, and had already entered her credit card info.  So I cancelled...and I see that there were a lot of penalites for doing this. First, how did she get my number? Is that something that is visible to guests? How was she able to to confirm the visit without sending me an email first? I have checked off that I want a government ID...but how would I have seen that? I have checked off "instant booking" because the other option gives you so many reasons not to do it that way. I am very upset, because now Labor day is blocked because I cancelled the reservation...and I can't fugure out how to unblock it...if I can at all...was there another option? I see some people deny....could I have done that...and I just panicked...and thought the only choice was to cancel? Are there customer service representatives to call? I can't find a number anywhere. Help!

Ramprasad1
Level 1
Hosur, India

hello,

i have guest who booked for 2 days and 1 person instead of 5. so i cancelled it so he can book. but now he is not able to book again. i also received a warning message for cancelling the reservaton. how to set this right?

regards

ram

@Ramprasad1

Now after cancelling on your side you cannot do anything. I am not sure airbnb would do anything either. A year ago I had a similar situation and unfortunately it was in  my records (you can cancel once and that's all).

For your future bookings: if there is any need to change anything in the reservation, always ask the guest to do it. They can alter the dates, change the number of people in that way.

The most important is not to cancel anything yourself as a host.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"