Cancellation Policy and Procedure.

Hilary25
Level 1
Wellington, New Zealand

Cancellation Policy and Procedure.

Hi. Why is a host penalised when it is a guest's prerogative to cancel? I am a relatively new host (five months) but have rapidly gained a 5-star rating. I have had two people cancel in this time, one because their girlfriend could get an Air B&B discount (they rebooked under another name) and another occasion when a couple wanted to add a third guest and have them sleep on the floor. I offer accommodation for one or two people. But not three. As this is my house rule, that should be acceptable. Any thoughts? It seems a little unfair. This arrangement should work for hosts and guests. Otherwise, everything has run very smoothly and I have been very happy with Air B&B.

5 Replies 5
Deb29
Level 9
San Mateo, CA

@Hilary0

Hosts are not supposed to be penalized when a guest cancels.

Can you please explain what host penalty you received?
Hilary25
Level 1
Wellington, New Zealand

Thanks, for that clarification, Deb. It looks like I haven't been penalised as it was the guests choice.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Deb29

There has been a host cancellation.

@Hilary25

Host cancellations always incur penalties.  One solution is to make the guest cancel, then refund the airbnb charges.  With extenuating circumstances you would need to contact airbnb for help with the cancellation.  This would also be the case with troublesome guests, guests that you are not comfortable hosting etc.  And in the case where guests would  want to rebook under a different profile.

@Marit-Anne0

Well that will do it. Cancellations are bad, penalties galore.

OMG!!!  Yes,  I feel like I'm being potty trained with this issue.  We have been with Airbnb for 3 plus years and this cancellation issue has been horrific to say the least.  I believe I have this down now. Have any of you received an email to unblock dates to get reservations and then you get a reservation for a date that you blocked?  Just wondering.  I have also found that I must be politically correct or the response here will not go thro.