Booking outside Airbnb - Payment fraud

Tswana0
Level 1
Sint Maarten

Booking outside Airbnb - Payment fraud

Dear all, it may seem insane but as a frequent Airbnb user, I feel that I have been scammed. I recently booked a vacation place on the Airbnb app and when the host accepted I was getting an error message that Airbnb was busy with the server and could not process the booking for the pre-approval for payment. So after trying a few times, I gave up and started a new search. I found an ideal vacation place for me family but the host Juan indicated that he was experiencing issues with the booking Calendar so it was possible to contact him and an email was provided. An email came in on my email with a form for the booking from the email of the host. I filled it out and sent it back, right after from am Airbnb email account I received a booking reservation whereby the booking button was indicated it lead me to the Airbnb site where wire transfer information was provided. A security email was sent to me from the Airbnb email account payment@5airbnb.com that the funds will be held 24hrs after check in. But to sent a proof of payment to the host to finalize the booking. The host contacted me indicating that the info was correct and on the day he would receive us at the airport. We got receipt with the booking code and address of the vacation location. But when I went back into the Airbnb App I don't see the listing not my booking. So I am wondering if I have been swindled of monies and how can I report the Host Juan (Antonio Jorge)....What are the options to get back my monies or wire transfer.
3 Replies 3
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Yes a scam and you should report the listing.

My assumption with a wire transfer is that the money is gone, but check with your Bank.

David
Tania-and-Andrew0
Level 10
Cancún, Mexico

@Tswana0

On your Airbnb Inbox there's a BIG message saying that you should never pay nor communicate outside of Airbnb; there are many phishing e-mails and scam profiles out there. I am sorry to read this happened to you but you fell into a horrid trap. These profiles show up every day and both guests/hosts report them daily but, for the time being, they will still show up. 

Please report the profile and make sure you contact your bank to see if there's anything you can do about this.

Good luck and please let us know the outcome!

Hi Tswana - did you manage to get you money back? What did you do afterwards?