Booking confirmed by mistake

Suz-And-Ted0
Level 2
Auckland, New Zealand

Booking confirmed by mistake

Hi everyone,

I confirmed a booking in error (more than three months out from stay date)and realised within two hours. I immediately messaged the guest but she didn't see the message until outside the 48hr free cancellation period.

Guest is understanding and happy to find other accommodation however is concerned she won't get her deposit back so wants me (host) to cancel the reservation.

I am very happy to give all her money back but am uncertain if I can do this.

Airbnb will charge me $50 USD (around $70 in my country) for this error plus loss of Superhost status etc so I would much prefer she did the cancellation.

The rules seem very inflexible considering the date is so far away and the guest is easily able to find other accommodation.

Is there anything I can do?

Many thanks

1 Reply 1
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Suz-And-Ted0  As the guest is understanding and agreeable, ask her again to cancel, assuring her that you will refund any money she is out for the service fees and whatever she isn't refunded according to your cancellation policy. In other words, make sure she isn't out anything for the booking. You can do this through the resolution center option "Send Money". Make sure she understands that any security deposit you charge wasn't actually charged to her account when she booked and that Airbnb has her money at this point, not the host.