Alexa Echo Show

Mark1340
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

Alexa Echo Show

Hi all,

I'm getting things ready to host in 2020 and I have a question.  Do you get negative feedback from guests who don't like devices like Amazon Alexa?  I know some people don't like the idea of an always listening device so I'm preparing for those guests.

My plan is to have an Amazon Echo Show 5 in the living room that will allow the guest access to my smart home sensors for heating control in the bedrooms.  They could touch the screen and set the temperatures or just talk to Alexa and get "her" to do it.  My plan is to also have some kind of welcome system on it too as a nice touch and it would act as a bluetooth speaker for them too.

What do you think?

6 Replies 6
David3267
Level 10
Torquay, United Kingdom

It is constant conundrum as to too much or too little technology! We get calls from people who struggle with a Smart TV or Nest thermostat, in my view keep it modern but fairly simple! Hope this helps

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Mark1340  Personally it would creep me out. And I wouldn't consider some AI welcome to be any kind of welcome I'd appreciate. Having to use a touch screen to operate things would also be a turn-off for me. 

Dana1156
Level 2
Carnation, WA

For Echo Show devices that Mark was asking about, as of spring 2022 if you are in a region where Alexa for Hospitality (AFH) is supported (currently the US and UK), there are new special capabilities available for Show devices in vacation rentals.  Different Amazon software is applied to the Echo devices with AFH. Guest privacy is protected, no recordings are stored in the cloud. The Show device can display digital signage for things you want guests to know about, as well as respond to their questions with custom answers you define. The AIPEX Virtual Concierge solution is built on AFH. There are many other advanced features that aren't available on normal retail Echo devices. Full disclosure - I'm an Airbnb host but also the founder of AIPEX. I started the company because I saw the benefits this tech could have for guests and hosts.

Just found your service and it's perfect for our needs!

How soon will the Echo Show 15 be supported? I just bought one for the rental we are closing on next week and would like to use your concierge service in my rental as soon as possible.

@Dana1156   and @Mark1340   My guest removed my concierge Echo show and demanded a refund because she was being "spied on".  I once even had an elderly ipad mounted in the kitchen as a  Wifi cookbook resource, and that was also covered up by a guest who freaked out.  I no longer have any electronic devices besides the smart tv in my property.  Too many guests do not understand that a concierge device is not a spy camera.  They have even questioned the sensor on the outside floodlights.

@Robert6397 terrific, we are glad to having you join the platform.  Amazon's support for the Echo Show 15 was intended by end of year, I got an update yesterday and it looks like that may slip into Q1. They want to make sure there aren't any device-specific issues that users might hit. For now the Echo Show 8 is a great option, and right now it is actually 46% off on Amazon.com, which is the best pricing we've seen.

@Lorna170 yes there is a distribution of feelings about electronic devices across the spectrum of guests. What we have found is that about 3-5% of guests are highly suspicious or have a paranoia about being spied on. If a guest feels that way they can simply unplug the device. We also recommend putting a 'home card' into the carousel rotation that is displayed on the screen of the device that lets guests know that the camera has been completely disabled and that the system was created specifically for hotels and vacation rentals. Disney resorts have the same devices and purpose-built hospitality software running on them.