AirCover not covering damage because guest said they didn’t do it…?

Yuki-and-Charlie0
Level 3
Canmore, Canada

AirCover not covering damage because guest said they didn’t do it…?

We recently had a guest pee in our sofa bed. Stained the mattress and can’t get the smell/stain out. Filed an aircover claim and a week later Airbnb came back with this.

“It appears the reported damages weren’t caused by a responsible guest or invitee of the guest, which means they aren't eligible for reimbursement under Host damage protection. To be eligible, the reported damages must have been caused by a responsible guest or an invitee of the guest.“

I’ve hosted over 10,000 guests on airbnb and I can say that 9/10 times guests don’t report damage. I even had a window that was smashed at the end of a 7 day stay that the guests denied doing…

Aside from a broken wine glass or a plate it’s rare for guests to report damage they did and offer to pay for it.
What happens is we find after they check out then file a damage claim. This is the whole point or reason behind Aircover….. like 90%+ of all damage is found after a guests stay that hasn’t been reported by the guest. 

In this situation the guests told airbnb they didn’t do it. Which is what always happens. I’m not sure how they can say they didn’t piss on our sofa bed it’s kinda hard to hide. 

1 Reply 1

That's why I always purchase a $13 per stay insurance that will cover me up to $500 so that if Airbnb doesn't cover I have a second instance to receive a refund.