Air bnb's cancellation policy for automatic bookings

Harvest1
Level 2
New York, United States

Air bnb's cancellation policy for automatic bookings

Tonight I was on the phone with an Air B'n'B support staff who ADMITTED that their representation of this policy is MISLEADING. In fact, it's a hoax. I read aloud to him what is stated: That if you allow automatic booking you will not receive penalties for cancelling a guest, if they don't meet your requirements. I had a situation in which the guest clearly did not meet my requirements- and he then said I'd receive penalties for cancelling him. Why are they not held accountable? This is a breach of trust. It makes me not want to host- and also take this into legal matters. They threaten to charge me for penalties. Anyone? What to do next?

5 Replies 5
Sonjia2
Level 2
Marina del Rey, CA

I agree. I just received message that the guest cancellation was my fault despite the message saying that they were intending on having a ten person party yet reserved for four person occupancy and clearly states no parties. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Harvest1 

What requirements did you have that your guest didn't meet that led you to want to cancel their booking?

If you can give us this information, it will help us advise you on what you can do.

Harvest1
Level 2
New York, United States

My listing is for cat care in exchange for a discounted rate. Guests are prompted to answer questions and tell me how they fit the criteria. This guest fit none- and had no answers 

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Harvest1 

Can you please quote the clause number in  Airbnb's term of service, that you read aloud to Airbnb's customer service representative.

Only by exposing Airbnb’s Term of Service to the light of day can Hosts start the fight back against Airbnb’s tyranny.

Harvest1
Level 2
New York, United States

Hello- it’s in the options menu, when a host is asked if they are willing to offer automated bookings. I canceled mine yesterday- which led to a series of near threats via me signing waivers stating my post won’t get seen, and my options to cancel are decreased. They already had been!