A very unfair situation that caused me a total lack of trust to airbnb!.

A very unfair situation that caused me a total lack of trust to airbnb!.

Last August a week before a guest was about to arrive, he cancelled  a two weeks reservation in my house.

I have a strict policy so I had to get a refund of half of the amount since he cancelled a week before his reservation.

The amount reached my account. Fortunately because at the very last moment I didn't manage to re-rent my house for these two weeks.

The second guest followed and a message from airbnb that there will be a complimentary amount for cancellation amount plus the new guest's due amount.

The complimentary amount arrived but never the recent guests' amount who actually were about to leave the house before we receive any money.

So I contacted airbnb to find out what has happened. And what I learned was totally disappointing and out of my mind:

"This is Rafael again one of the Case Manager from Airbnb. I still do hope that my message finds you well.

Well, anyways, as for your concern, I really do apologize if there's some confusion right now. But upon checking, it appears that the expected amount of €1,043.72 for your guest, Ann..........., had been lessened by the previous refund for the David........, who cancelled his reservation due to a back injury, and he had claim for our Extenuating circumstance Policy which entitled him for a full refund even if he was the one to cancel his reservation. The amount of the refund was €946.91, which then resulted with the amount of €96.81.

I hope I was able to clearly explain to you everything that you've needed to know right now. And I do understand that this would be great inconvenience for you right now, I hope that this would not change your positive outlook on using Airbnb again."

This certainly totally changes our trust and positive outlook on airbnb and we will certainly consider to totally withdraw our property from airbnb. It is outrageous how airbnb totally ignores us as customers and also totally ignores that we have a strict policy on cancellations. What is more doesn't give us any clear notice. Airbnb decides for our property and ignores the policies and rules that we have set for our house! Ridiculous! We are extremely disappointed!!

2 Replies 2
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Maria-and-Roz-Mari0 

Airbnb acts as an insurrance company. Which they are not at this moment. But then can be, by offering the guests insurrance for their trip. Then the "insurrance company" will refund the guest when "extenuating circumstances" show up, instead of overruling the cancellation policy and taking the money from the host.

Thank you for your comment Emiel.

I am very sceptical about airbnb after this incident thinking that I am a "guest"/ client  to airbnb platform as well  and at this moment  I do not feel considered at all.  This case happened without giving me any notice or suggesting any other refunding policy for this special/ extenuating circumstances and without considering at all the damage that I may have. And I am sure that airbnb is taking its profit anyway under any type of cancellation.