A guest book for 7 days in my new york home but dont want to check out. What should i do?

Adeola1
Level 2
New York, NY

A guest book for 7 days in my new york home but dont want to check out. What should i do?

I live in the Queens NY and A guest book my listing for one week then decided that they aren't leaving  the house . What can I do?

6 Replies 6
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Adeola1 First message them through the Airbnb system and tell them their reservation is up and it's time to check out.  Then ask Airbnb to get involved.  (See the first page of this Help section for all the ways to contact them.)  Finally, inform your lawyer of what's going on.  This could get ugly and you do not want to be in direct contact with the guests after your message telling them it's time to leave.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If they are squatting you need to phone Airbnb straight away and seek legal advice. I think in the US they need to be resident for  28. Days? I would also post on the New York host forum. Good luck @Adeola1 

In the United States they don't acquire tenants rights until after 28 days (in some places its 30-31 days). Put their materials out on the porch but you might have to change the lock. Is this an apartment or a house.

In either case, you might need to call the police and report as a trespasser if they are still in the apartment. But have Airbnb contact the guest first. They don't have the right to stay if it isn't part of the agreement.

Give them written notice in the message center that you are putting their things outside the door.

Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

@Helen3 @Ann72 @Adeola1 

Airbnb may not be of any help. But do need to let Airbnb know it. Call policy to expel them because it is a trespassing of your property after their booking period expires.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Alice595 I agree they might not be much help, but they must be told, and proof that they were asked to leave must be in the message thread with the guest.

@Christine615 Great advice about putting their things out!  @Adeola1 really has to nip this thing in the bud.

what was the outcome of this