Do you keep an eye on the competition? I do.

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

Do you keep an eye on the competition? I do.

In this area there’s plenty of business to go around. I simply like to read reviews to see what other hosts are doing right and what they’re doing wrong. We each have our own place in the market, so I feel like we’re not in direct competition. I cheer on the good hosts and shake my head at the bad ones. It’s just not that hard to supply a clean, comfortable, well-supplied property to guests. It doesn’t have to be fancy, it just has to be as promised. 

The interesting thing to me is that locally, many of these properties are managed by a local vacation rental company. However, on AirBnB, they are not listed as such. The “host” is simply a person’s name, so there’s no indication that there’s a company behind the property rental. I'm not sure what the AirBnB rules are about that. 

This “person” lost her Superhost status last year because the ratings for many of the properties went too low. “She” actually should have lost it before that, but because some of the properties were barely hanging on to Superhost, her other properties with low ratings got the badge as well, which really bothered me. I guess eventually that’s self-correcting, although AirBnB should do a better job of policing that for hosts with multiple properties. A property with low ratings is obviously not being “super” hosted and shouldn’t carry the badge. 

You see the same complaints over and over for these properties with no improvement. Low water pressure, smelly well water,  rickety furniture, poor arrival directions, access codes not working, not enough toilet paper, no trash bags, minimally supplied kitchens, hot tub not warm or clean,  even though these amenities are promised. The list goes on. Really? You’re going to end up with unhappy guests and poor reviews because you couldn’t leave a few extra rolls of toilet paper? Great way to piss people off, by not spending a few dollars on supplies. 

It’s pretty obvious that they kind of don’t care, as long as the money keeps flowing in. It’s also pretty obvious that many guests don’t read reviews, or they likely wouldn’t book in the first place. These places also tend to be priced at the top end of the market. Go figure. This company has its own booking site, and of course that site doesn’t have reviews available, so they likely get direct bookings, and are able to keep the dirty little secrets on the downlow. BTW, they get the same ratings and reviews on VRBO. 

There’s a new host who either purchased or took over management of several properties in the town of Ohiopyle early this year, which is a major focal point of the tourist draw to this area. As soon as I saw the listings I just went “uggghh.”  Low quality, really ugly furnishings and décor. Bad carpet, no upgrades, but perfectly centrally located. Her ratings are pretty dismal. Always a 5* on location though. You think that if she’d just spend some money making the places nicer, she’d be doing so much better. There is lots of room in her calendars for the fall season, which is super popular up here, and she should be solidly booked. You have to spend money to make money, IMHO. 

Another local family has entered the hosting arena with multiple properties. They can’t even get decent ratings for a hotel room! How hard is it to manage a decent hotel room? I suspect they’re about to lose their superhost status as well. They’ve gotten complaints at multiple properties, including guests finding dirty dishes, and the entire place not having been cleaned prior to guest arrival. Who manages a property and doesn’t check to make sure that the cleaners have shown up?? 

There are also many local properties that get rave reviews, and I'm always happy to see that as well. These seem to be managed directly by owners, which I believe makes the difference. 

Well, just some observations as to the local market. I’m curious if other hosts keep an eye on their local markets, and see the same patterns. 

Lengthy post, I know. Happy hosting, I hope. Kia

25 Replies 25
Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Kia272 

I do check the local listings occasionally and there are more than I expected, about 50 in a rather sparsely populated area.

A few are clearly managed by companies. When the units have such imaginative names as “Cottage #2” it’s fairly obvious.

There’s only one management company that I could find and it’s mostly involved with rentals in Branson, Mo, about 40 minutes away.

They pretty much suck. They did help us get set up and listed on all the major platforms a couple of years ago, but after that it was fairly clear that they didn’t care about us at all.

What they really wanted was for us to turn everything over to them and stay out of the way. I don’t see how that could have worked, given our remote location. Their fees were high with us doing all the cleaning, greeting, etc and I suppose we would have made little or nothing if we had signed up for their “full-service package.”

Their long-term agenda may have been something rather sinister. Apparently they are buying a lot of properties around Branson when the owners realize that they are not making enough money to pay the mortgage and their condos or cabins are not being maintained.

Their business model seems to involve providing “flawless customer service 24 hours a day,” and maybe they do for guests, but not so much for owners.

They acted as host and often sent us totally unacceptable guests without notice of who, how many, when, and so on.

They ignored our complaints about damages and when I finally had to tell them that we would no longer accept children because of the wanton destruction they were causing they agreed to do that but didn’t change the listings.

When I started rejecting guests who tried to check in with more people than we have room for or herds of young children they blocked our calendar without notice for violating their “family-friendly policy.”

That was the end of our relationship. We had to start over on our own, which was a blessing, actually.

I wasted two days trying to list with VRBO and Booking.com. Their websites were nearly impossible for hosts.

Airbnb’s listing process went flawlessly and we started getting bookings immediately.

I am uneasy about Airbnb’s horrible CS, however, as well as their coercive host rating system.

Yesterday I listed with TripAdvisor and that went very smoothly. Their website is far less confusing than this one and their policies appear to be more fair to hosts.

The fees are much lower, and similar to hotels, they retain the guest’s payment information for 7 days after they check out in case of damage claims.

Our listing  was published after about 12 hours. We have not received any booking requests yet so I am looking forward to seeing how well the whole process works.

@Brian2036  I definitely need to branch out, but I've been lazy about it. I created a listing on VRBO, but it never really worked for me in a number of ways. It is snoozed indefinitely. 

Were you able to synch your calendar with TripAdvisor easily? Are you using a channel manager? 

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Kia272 

It took less than 5 minutes to synch the calendars. TripAdvisor provided simple instructions and my blocked dates appeared instantly.

I don’t know what a channel manager is, so I guess I don’t have one.

@Brian2036  A channel manager would be some software that helps simplify and automate some tasks in managing a short term rental (as well as in other applications). So some hosts with multiple properties might use one to simplify messaging, calendar synchronization, etc. 

I've looked into some different tools that might help me in setting up my own website while continuing on AirBnB. I've been lazy about it, mostly because I find the rental agreement and legal aspect of it a bit daunting. Maybe 2022 will be my year. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Kia272 It's funny that you post this. I could literally write the same exact thing about my experience stocking 😉 the local market. I check Airbnb listings in my area every. single. day. My area also has a property manager host who is priced at the top of the market but completely underdelivers. I wonder if this host even reads reviews. One month there will be a review about the inaccuracy of beds (according to reviews there is 1 queen bed but the listing stays 2 twins.) Next month, a few more similar reviews and so on. And the listing remains inaccurate. Why would he not correct the number of beds on the listing page?! He's clearly just in it to book as many nights as possible and make as much money as possible.

@Emilia42  I know, right? When you've gone to all the trouble of putting up a listing and accepting guests, it's such a small effort to correct inaccuracies or fix and replace things that make guests unhappy. I don't get it. 

It also kind of confirms for me that many guests have blinders on when booking. They see pretty pictures, the location looks good, capacity is right, and maybe the price suits their needs too. 

Maybe they glance at the first few visible reviews, and a majority are good, or at least not bad enough to persuade them it's not good. I think most of these places continue to make money off of first-time visitors, and likely don't see a lot of repeat business. 

As I said, it's not really challenging to provide a clean, comfortable, and well-supplied property to guests. 

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Emilia42 @Kia272 

The property manager/middleman we had couldn’t care less about reviews.

My listing was seriously inaccurate, I pointed it out to their “world class customer service” repeatedly, but they ignored me.

They would say anything to get people to book and would never refund their fees. The host might get stiffed but Freedom Vacation Rentals never parted with a dime.

They certainly didn’t want to see repeat customers because they were well aware that people like us could offer them a 50% discount off the record and come out ahead. And we did that.

One valuable lesson I learned from this: Don’t do a STR with a large property management company.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kia272  No, I don't check out reviews for other local properties much.

But there is a little place behind me that now has long term renters in it, but which was listed on Airbnb at one point. The guy who was managing it was a real sleazebag and lived there himself for awhile. 

When it was an Airbnb, his guests would show up, not be able to get in (he told them he checks guests in personally) and not be able to reach him by phone or message. 

There was garbage in the yard, and a big pile of skanky beer bottles up against the side of the cabin he never cleaned up. Guests told me it was dirty inside and there wasn't enough bedding. 

A couple of times guests showed up at my gate 10 minutes after checking in, asking to borrow some toilet paper- there was none provided.

One young female guest with an infant who I struck up a conversation with out on the road the day she left, said if she had known I had an Airbnb room, she would have cancelled that place and moved over here. Although it only has a single bed and I don't accept children, I would have let her stay had she asked- it was just a babe in arms she slept with anyway and the woman was really sweet.

That place didn't last for more than about 6 months on Airbnb- I suspect it got 1* reviews and guests calling Airbnb to complain.

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

I rarely do. Occasionally (like once every few months) I will do a search for new properties. But I don't dig into reviews deeply. I may skim. Because we have a lot of guests from the region, I may look at their reviews to see what kind of places they tend to stay and what they say about them. But I rarely look at what other people are doing as hosts.  

We are a converted schoolhouse in a town literally no one has ever heard of (Keymar MD.) There aren't a lot of others to compare ourselves to.

@Kia272 

I do keep an eye a couple times a year, simply because this is a good idea out here in the boondocks. A couple times I noted listings that no one could safely stay there - absolutely did not belong being listed. Thank goodness no one ever booked the places, so my concern is that a run down firetrap gives the entire platform a lack of credibility, in addition to obvious health &  safety hazards. 

I am pretty picky about places I stay, and I would not want to rent anything that is part of a management company. I want my money to go to a family owned and operated place. That is non negotiable for me.

@Kitty-and-Creek0  There was one like that in my area as well, and it was really out of place in the midst of a ton of fairly nice STRs. It was absolutely horrible, and of course never got rented. I just looked for it and it's gone. 

I'm not necessarily averse to renting from a management company as long as they are doing a good job. However I do struggle with the fact that management companies are not forced to set up their hosting profiles as such. I think people feel differently when they are renting directly from the property owner, and I feel like it's deceptive to pretend that's the case, when in actuality it's not. That's on AirBnB though. 

Noel102
Level 10
Houston, TX

I almost never check out the competition.  I'm a superhost on AirBnB+ with 100% 5-star reviews and an occupancy rate around 80% or better each month.  The competition doesn't seem to be eating into my bookings.

@Noel102  I'm not doing it because the competition is eating into my bookings. I state pretty clearly that I'm just curious, and that there appears to be room in the market for all of us. 

The view for you from up on high may be perfectly clear, but I feel that there's always something to be learned from the successes as well as failures of others in the market. 

Agreed @Kia272. Knowing what is going on around me has 100% made me a better host. That's business 101.