dont like the look of a guest who has booked, can i decline or cancel ?

Dee8
Level 3
Belfast, United Kingdom

dont like the look of a guest who has booked, can i decline or cancel ?

im a  protestant / christian  .  i had recently 2 muslim men who wanted to book my room on different occasions,  i do not trust muslims and i do not want them in my home.  

is this against airbnb rules ?  surely you have the right to decide who you want in your home and please do not say i am a racist but after everything from muslim communities etc i do not trust these people .  

what to do in future and how to list my room.

6 Replies 6
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Dee8....I have to say Dee, some of the nicest most genuine people I have met have been Muslims! An overwhelming majority of them are just as apalled at what is happening throughout world in the name of Islam as the rest of us. I too am a Protestant Christian, I attended a protestant college for my education.....my father even played the organ in our local church! So, I am of that same background as you, but if someone of Muslim faith who had good reviews in the past, and proper verifications....just the same as potential guests from any other religious following, wanted to book as a guest, I would welcome them with open arms.

I understand that we in this country are probably in a bit of a 'back water' where extremist activities are concerned and I can understand your reluctance, and I guess no amount of soothing talk on my part would change your mind, and that is your prerogative Dee.

One of Airbnb's policies is that if a host genuinely feels uncomfortable about a potential guest they will take steps to relocate them for you! I am not sure that racial grounds (and I don't mean that in a detrimental derogitory way) would be sufficient reason but, you should call Airbnb in the United Kingdom+44 203 318 1111 or contact through  Airbnb's Facebook page and get clarification.....Cheers....Rob

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

How Christian of you....you sound like a very welcoming host.

How did you know their religion, out of interest? And can you guess mine?

i dont care about people liek you, i care about my home and my way of life !!!!   

@Gerry-And-Rashid0 Yeah, presumption on my part Gerry and Rashid,  but Dee did specifically say she, or he, did not trust 'Musilms'  and universally Muslims and Islam are seen as one in the same.

Guess your religion Gerry and Rashid? .......no I couldn't, and frankly I wouldn't want to! I rather judge people by their actions than by their religious beliefs, and with the amount of time and effort you put into this forum helping other people, I sort of thing you are fine human beings, and I would rather leave it at that than put a religious tag on you!!

But as to @Dee8.....Dee made a statement, a post for help, to start with that required and answer, which I gave to the best of my knowledge. For that Dee then repled "i dont care about people liek you," simply because I said you can't tar everyone from a certain class with the same brush!!

If Dee doesn't 'liek' people like me, that's fine, I will just make sure I ignore any of Dee's further posts for help on the forum!!

There are some people worth responding to, and there are some that aren't....Keep up your good work @Gerry-And-Rashid0.... Cheers...Rob 

@Gerry-And-Rashid0 Sorry guys...posts came through out of order, I thought your comments were addressed to me.....Rob

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello,

There has been some concern over this, I am sure the post above wasn't meant to be discriminatory, but for further reference please keep in mind the following:

Airbnb’s mission is to build a community of belonging. We believe that by sharing our homes, meeting people from across the world, and experiencing different cultures, we can foster the understanding that leads to that community of belonging.  

Recently, we published our  Standards and Expectations, which are an expression of our community’s shared values, and were created based on what hosts and guests have told us they view as acceptable conduct and behavior when using Airbnb. A foundational value in these Standards that relates to your particular question is the principle of Fairness; specifically the section on Discriminatory Behavior or Speech. On Airbnb, this value requires that members of our communityfollow all applicable laws and not treat others differently because of their race, ethnicity, national origin, religious affiliation, sexual orientation, sex, gender, gender identity, disability, or serious diseases”.

While we recognize that places may have varying laws about treating people differently because of their race, nation of origin or other characteristics, we think this behavior is detrimental to building our community of trust and belonging. If we become aware that a member of our community has explicitly violated  this standard, adverse action may be taken on their account,including potentially removal from the Airbnb community. (Read Airbnb’s anti-discrimination policy here)

We know that our mission is ambitious and understand the global challenges we may face in working towards it. With that said, we remain committed to making Airbnb one of the most open, trusted, diverse, transparent and accepting communities in the world. We strongly encourage you to read our most recent blog entry on this very issue and how Airbnb is addressing it.  Most importantly, we encourage you to continue to explore ways to interact with people from all backgrounds to find the common threads that bring us together.

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.