Breaching of local law for hosting less than 28 continuous days

Breaching of local law for hosting less than 28 continuous days

Got this alert from Airbnb that they've been informed that renting for less than 28 continuous days could be considered as breach of HK law if the host does not have the necessary license.  Does anybody know the position of Airbnb on this and any advise to Airbnb hosts?  We are starting to see Uber drivers being prosecuted in HK.  Is any body worried that this may happen to Airbnb hosts?  Does it mean that Airbnb hosts are on their own to defend should problem arises ... now that Airbnb has informed the hosts in an alert that they have been informed by the government but Airbnb can't advise hosts on the rights and responsibilities of the hosts?  I would like to clarify this with Airbnb but they don't seem to have a link where I can post them questions.

6 Replies 6
Monica4
Level 10
Ormstown, Canada

I had this happend to me in Quebec. I recieved a letter from the tourist bureau that I had to conform to the law if I rented my house for less than 28 days. That meant I needed proof of permission from my municipality, insurance for liability $2million, proof of ownership or a lease, and yearly inspection/fees plus payment of the lodging tax. Airbnb does not get involved. It is up to you, I think, to get legal. I did all that was required and am now legal. No more worries, but there are a lot of hosts in Quebec who seem to be running under the wire, for now anyway.

Thanks for sharing your experience in Quebec.  In Hong Kong, Airbnb just alerted the hosts they have have received a notification from the governement.  They then made reference to the relevent Ordinance which basically stated that Airbnb hosts would need to secure a hotel or guesthouse business license for any hosting less than 28 continuous days.  In Hong Kong, it would not be possible to secure such business license for a residential property, and even if it is possible, it would also be inconcievable for such part time Airbnb hosts to figure out how to do it.  I think what gets me focusing on this is the recent prosecution of Uber drivers in Hong Kong.   I think the same logic applies that such drivers do not hold a taxi business license.

@Monica4  Here in North Dakota we had to jump thru all those same hoops before we could start renting.  Now there's just annual inspections by the state health department and a yearly safety inspection the local fire department.

It's not a bad thing, actually. I know that if I was a guest I would feel more secure staying somewhere that has annual inspections.

Hi Monica,

Just saw this post and had a question that I hope you could help me with. I am in Quebec and I was wondering what your insurance company was ? Most of them won't accept hosting for less than a year. Any suggestions ?

Thank you,

Isabelle

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Nancy13....Yes Nancy, thanks to your post, and two others I have posted in this section my thoughts on what Airbnb are doing with regard to government regulations....My post is called 'Dark days ahead' you might like to read it....cheers...Rob

PS: I have a photo of myself in that exact same spot as your profile photo!!