unfair review

Faith1
Level 1
Dallas, TX

unfair review

Hi all,

I take great pride in being a great host but hey you cannot please everyone. I had a co dependent lady from another country write a very unfair review. Apparently she expected me to be her source of entertainment (she felt alone in house), (her English was almost non existent) and she had a boyfriend she spent almost every day with, while I worked 15 hour days .......and didnt' have time to entertain her.

I treated her exactly the same as any other guest and they were happy with level of interaction. I said nothing but positive things about her and she raked me over the coals in spanish I might add. This should be removed as I had two inquiries since and they have not gotten back to me. It's unfair for some biased individual to cause one to lose guests when she's just sour grapes, who was very busy during her stay, but my culture is different than hers and I cannot entertain guest 24/7. I will be a nice respectful host but after 2 years of hosting how can one bad review/person affect my business? Please tell us how to remove unfair things like this as it's just not right for one person with unrealistic expectations of a host to leave an unfair review or tarnish a long standing great reputation as a host.

6 Replies 6
Amber1
Level 7
Key West, FL

I know you can reply to the unfair review below it to defend yourself.

Maureen26
Level 1
Jamison, PA

Wow!

I entered into the conversation because I felt I recieved an unfair review (which I did).. (and that review has cost me in $$  when I didn't do anything wrong and my service to my guests never lacked). I origianally wanted to reach out to the community to defensively address my situation and I still do....

BUT NOW, thinking it through, I have a different take on things.

I've learned that my offering, while honest and true, didn't line up with the dreams of this particular customers needs.

I offer a haven for people who want the finer things in life, have a sence of adventure, and may be event driven to my community for many differnet reasons, among art, which I adore.  If my French lite theme makes you happy, please come and enjoy!

In retrospect, perhaps I should have been more learned myself, and explained that child friendly (they had 5) is not the same thing as child proof. And maybe, I should have known, (but i didn't) that 11 people can't use the water at the same time, especially when you are offering rain tree and jacuzzii spa services as a house hold item.

My solution: For me, I will now always provide full disclosure about my home, theme, and how many people I can comfortable accomodate.

Best

Maureen

Andrée2
Level 10
Portland, OR

@Faith1

It sounds as if this guest may have had a misunderstanding of what Airbnb is and what is expected of her host. She may have thought you to be more of a house servant that prepares meals, provides company and tours...and maybe her boyfriend just isn't the best company so she thought she would have that in you. In any case, you did nothing wrong and would do best to write a brief response to say that, while you cannot be responsible for her experiences out and about with her bf, you were hoping that she would have written a more appropriate review of your nice home that you provide. That's it. 

I believe that most potential guests that see her review will get it and understand why her review is 'out of line'. 

Finally, I am betting that the fact that a couple people since then have not gotten back to you is merely coincidence. Faith, have faith that the review, that won't get removed, will simply be pushed down and away by all of your stellar reviews to follow it. There will surely be plenty. Take care.

Helen82
Level 3
Vancouver, Canada

Yeah, agree with the last comment, it sounds as though your guest doesn't know what Airbnb is. I would reply to the review tactfully but say something along the lines of,

"I regret you were unable to enjoy your stay to its fullest. I would strongly suggest a hotel with an entertainment staff for your next visit. Perhaps being clear about your expectations for me to be your tour guide could have been relayed more readily. As a host with a full time career, I am naturally unable to be your travel companion, I would have been honored to provide an itinerary and suggestions for your stay in my beautiful city with its never-ending entertainment district. Best of luck."

Just make sure you put the onus back on her, even if you just use the first couple sentences of that and keep it short and sweet.  But it would likely serve you well to mention what your city or your home/local area has to offer (I'm not sure exactly what she said in the review) it's a good way to deflect what she put on you, while also reminding her (and everyone else who reads it) they should be visiting your location for the location, not for exclusive entertainment and private hosting. No way! Good luck!

Ian38
Level 2
Prague, Czech Republic

Most of my guests are good but I think a few were expecting a hotel experience for a fraction of the price.

I just had a very bad rating too and contacted Airbnb to remove it. Waiting on a response but they do not have a category for my problem.  

The Guest was mad at me for making a smoothie at 8:30 AM when my house rules say that quiet hours are only between 10 PM and 8 AM.  She complained that in her home under her rules --her children would never run the blender to make a smoothie at 8:30 AM!

This is so insane, I am not expected to live by your rules when you come to my home.  Who could image such out of control expectations.  The rating system is rife for people acting out their pettiness.