smoking

Jen-and-Sean0
Level 2
Kingston, Canada

smoking

Hi--after 2.5 years, we've had our first guest disregard our house rules and smoke in our suite.  The smell is in everything and we have another guest coming tomorrow.  

I can't prove it, other than this guest's cousin was so upset by the visit, she made a special point to contact me and tell me she has no doubt the guest smoked in there.  

What are my options?

Thanks in advance,

Jen

9 Replies 9
Robert78
Level 10
Suzhou, China

This makes no sense: your guest's cousin contacted you and told you they were upset by the smoking? 

Yes---I guess our guest was very inconsiderate around the cousin's children and would smoke around them, despite health issues.  

I orginally contacted the guest and politely asked if she had smoked in there.  She denied it and then later, the cousin (who our guest was visiting) made a point to reach out to me and apologize, upset with her cousin (our guest) and said that she has no doubt the guest smoked in the suite.

That would be enough, just the guest in there and if she did invite someone in who smoked still down to her.

David

Then use the Resolution Center, state a claim for cleaning due to smoke damage. Provide the cousin's testimony as evidence to support your claim. Good luck!

Airbnb will not support you in this claim.Myself and a few other hosts that I know I have been through the same thing where it is clearly written in our rules that there is no smoking yet the guest has broken the house rules and smoked anyway. I has a guest upstairs that texted me she smelled smoke and my cleaners texted me the room reaked, and when I got home 4 hours later after being cleaned and aired out it still wreaked. Airbnb  will take the side of the guest and not the host. I think it is ridiculous that guests are allowed to agree to the house rules before booking then break them and not be held responsible for them. I am upset that Airbnb is treating hosts in such a disrespectful manner.  I am looking for other people who might be interested in class action suit against Airbnb for allowing guests to break our rules and not support us in upholding agreements that were made on their site. Please let me know if you might be interested in this. It is a dangerous precedent for Airbnb to set to allow guests to get away with breaking house rules. 

@Katie193

I have seem many posts about class action suites, have a look through the forum,

Nobody seems to come back and tell us what they are doing.

David
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Big thumbs down in the review and mention in your text, assume nobody else was staying.

Air and clean.

David
Nancy288
Level 1
Victoria, Canada

I have a two month tenant who has been smoking in my suite.  I ave been paid for just one month.  I want her out as soon as possible as I have someone the day after her final day.  Can I ask her to leave at the end of the month before there is any damage done?  The booking was made by her daughter-in-law who knew she smoked but did not tell me when she booked.  My listing clearly states no smoking.

@Nancy288  Did you know it was a third-party booking?  If not, report it to Airbnb.  Airbnb does not allow third-party bookings https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/427/can-i-book-on-behalf-of-a-friend-or-family-member

Call Airbnb to report that guest is breaking House Rules.  If you can prove it, then you have two options:  1) tolerate guest unitl the month ends since the following month will not automatically renew; 2) have Airbnb cancel the reservation, which means you will not be paid for remaining days and your calendar will be blocked.    

If you have proof of the smoking, send evidence to Airbnb via the resolution center as soon as possible.  Document everything, send guest meassages using Airbnb messaging about the smoking, remind guest of House Rules.