security deposit

John385
Level 1
Macungie, PA

security deposit

I am starting to use  AirBnB to rent a property.   I have included a security deposit in my pricing. 
BUT on the pricing page it says: -No charges or authorizations will be made unless you make a claim within 48 hours after check out.==this is impossible for me as I live 2 hours a way.

On another page it says:
-If you need to make a claim on your security deposit, you can do so in the Resolution Center within 14 days of your guest’s checkout date or before the next guest checks in, whichever is earlier.==this is workable as we would go to our rental home the next weekend.

What is the policy.

4 Replies 4
Mara24
Level 2
Scottsdale, AZ

Sorry I don't know the information. But… Does the guests know that the deposit is on hold? I did not list the deposit because I felt it might deter people from booking. Can anybody provide me with this information?

The security deposit is set by you, not Airbnb.  It isn't automatic - you decide the amount of the deposit.  If you do not list a security deposit on your listing, Airbnb won't take a security deposit.  Hence, if there are damages under the $300 minimum damage amount for Airbnb's insurance to kick in, then you have no damage protection.  This information is covered in the Help Center.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I can see other issues other than the security deposit, as you are 2 hours away who manages your property locally?

The Security Depoist, yes you have 48 hours or if you have no intervening bookings then 14 days. Please make sure you understand what is catered for by the security deposit, and what is not.

David
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Just as an aside, if you can manage it, get a local to pop their head in when guests have checked out as it is pretty common for guests to leave open windows, unlocked (or wide open) doors, heat and light on etc. Just a quick check through to make sure the place is shut down.