security deposit question

Alan26
Level 2
Vancouver, WA

security deposit question

What $ amount are hosts typically listing for security deposit for "entire home"?  I have a feeling that the security deposit deters people from making a reservation.  I had one person decline because she didn't want $500 to be tied up on her credit card (despite my telling her it would drop off after they complete their stay).  Is $250 too low to cover a host? 

5 Replies 5
Lisa40
Level 6
Edgewood, WA

I ask for $200. It has worked for me so far.
Keila0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

It depends on what you have in the place where guests have access. Does this really covers your apartment? If there are super expensive objects or even things that you care so much, you can take them out of the place that you are renting. 

Remember that the security deposit is just a way to guarantee that the guest will take care of the place. They will pay attention to what they do.  Security Deposit is different than covering the entire apartment of a bigger damage. For this and other types of guarantees, remember that there is this: https://www.airbnb.com/guarantee

😉

James1
Level 10
SF, CA

Any potential guest whining about a hold on their card for the security deposit is a red flag. I would decline anyone who complained about that. I decline anyone who asks for a discount. I am not in the travel commodity business. They should try Trivago or Hotels.com

I agree with @James1 here. 

If you feel that you cannot have $500 tied up on your card for the duration of your stay you may be much better off looking for a different host. There are risk-happy and risk-averse hosts, too. It is up to each and every host to call his shots, putting it bluntly. 

A potentially careless person may cause a damage that easily exceeds, say $200, shrug with their shoulders and move on. The host is left to pick up the bits and pieces, organize repairs, and foot much of the bill, too. 

Now, if a guest thinks that his $500 may never make it back to his credit card account he may start thinking a bit harder about being negligent and careless. There is a heftier price tag attached, so people start paying a lot more attention, too. The guests benefit from having a trouble-free stay, and the hosts benefit from having a smooth turnover, too. A true win-win for everyone. 

Danny

If you find this information helpful, consider clicking the Thumbs-Up icon near lower right. Thanks!

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

You have received some good responses, but it is important to understand that the deposit is NOT taken by  Air BNB.  Air BNB has the right to access the credit card up to the agreed deposit amount should there be a claim.  For an entire house, I would recommend a minimum of $500.