rules about pets

Linda466
Level 2
Kelseyville, CA

rules about pets

My site specifically says no pets.  However, I just got an inquiry, one for a discount for the weekend which is not acceptable and two, they want to bring a small dog.  There were no reassurances the dog is house trained and will not be left in the apt while they are gone.  How does one tactfully handle such inquiries?  I was clear there are no discounts (esp for 2 nights) and I was willing to consider the dog...now I'm not so sure that's a good idea.   The apt has expensive leather furniture.  I did say the dog has to be with them all the time.  I'm new to this and still finding out how to set limits without scaring away future customers.  Lu

8 Replies 8

@Linda466

I think it's important to stick to your own house rules. If you don't respect your own house rules (that you made), then no one else will. It's better to "scare away" the guests who haggle and do not respect your house rules - because chances are they will probably end up being more trouble than what they pay you. 

That is a great reminder.  Thank you.  I have declined the reservation.  I do not want pets in the apartment and will stick with that now.  

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Linda466  Here's another thing to consider: What if future guests rely on your "no pets policy" because there are allergy issues?  Although I also have a  no pets policy, I recently had a reservation request asking me to confirm that no pets have been on the propety because their daughter has severe allergic reactions to fur.  The prospective guests will think that your place is safe based on your policy and might book with you only to discover that you yourself have violated your own rules.  They wouldn't necessarily ask you about it if they had allergies since your listing says no pets.  Then they arrive and have issues.  That would be a real bummer! If you say no pets, you should stick to it. 

@Linda466

Go with your gut feeling.  I took a quick look at your place and it is beautiful.  We all know that pets are great and do well in their own space but pets away from home can have some issues.  We do not allow pets for allergy reasons.  As @Clare0 said she had guests who were happy to rent her space as it is pet free.  We have had the same, some guests with bad allergies, and they were very happy to know that there was no fur in the space. 

Typically I decline and then refer them to a property close by that does allow pets.

Nancy

I have learned to automatically decline guests if the ask for a discount. Guest who do not appreciate the value of your listing will not be good guests. Also, rules are rules. Stick with them and make no exceptions.

Thank you all for the information/responses.  Based on what you posted, I declined the reservation siting the pet policy and the allergy/fur concerns.   I had already said there would be no discounts.  Thanks again.  

We were unaware that our former rental agent had been allowing dogs on our property. We no longer use his services, but now have to deal with repeat renters asking to bring their pets. We were wondering how to proceed but reading all these responses have convinced us that we should stick with our rules - not worth the aggravation that bending them would cause. Thanks all, especially @Clare0, and @Jessica-and-Henry0 and @Linda466 and your decision to stick to your no pets rule.

Thank heavens for the support and information I received from the Airbnb Community regarding this issue.  Not only was I concerned about damage by pets (to new furniture, etc) but the deciding factor was realizing I could not advertise my space as being free of pet allergens if I allowed renters to bring pets.  Once pet smells and allergens enter the space, there's no way to ensure they are removed.  I'm very happy I have stuck to a no pets rule in spite of the fact I love pets.  This just isn't the place for them.  I hope that's helpful.  Linda