new cancellation policies

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

new cancellation policies

Does anyone know if the new cancellation policies have taken effect? Was due in Oct but delayed. Anyone???

8 Replies 8
Serena1
Level 10
Vatican City, Vatican City

@Sandra126

In Italy it is already applied from October 18 .... and also the increase in commissions me with strict I pay 5% + 22% VAT

Inviato da Cellulare
- Ignorare errori di battitura e correzione automatica. 😉
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Sandra126  I am ignorant of new cancellation policies.  Can you explain?  Does anyone in the US know if this applies to US as well?  Did I miss an email?  Sigh...

@Linda108, I seldon hear anything but I did hear this as they trialled it in Italy. The date for overall application was supposed to be Oct 1, but then I read that it was delayed as Italian hosts made a huge fuss. Do not upset the Italians, they are very vocal! Now I don't know if it has been applied or not, but if it has, I want to go Moderate instead of Strict. It is an effort to make us all have a more flexible policy. Moderate becomes slightly stricter, Strict becomes more moderate and the commission is 1% more expensive with Strict, which makes me think I will be as happy with Moderate. It is very similar, only cheaper. But has it been applied? Noboby seems to know??? Flexible will remain much the same as I understand it.

Thanks @Sandra126.  I appreciate your giving me a heads up.  I use strict during the time that travelers are booking up to a year in advance for highly desireable music festivals.  Once those are booked, I move to moderate.  Interesting that Air BNB is considering adding extra cost for strict cancellation policy.

@Linda108, basically they will be more or less evened out, but extra fee for Strict which makes it pointless. Also, as part of the change from what I read, once you leave Strict you cannot get back on it as they wish to phase it out. All I want to know is when or if it is implemented! Apart from in Italy, where it is the case already.

@Sandra126

It starts January 2017.  Strict cancellation means the guest can cancel up to and on the day of check-in until midnight for 50% refund.  What happens after midnight I do not know.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Lisa293, that is interesting as it is not even similar to what I have read. But it is a while until Jan, hopefully there will be some info sent out. Here's hoping!

And that is not v strict at all, is it? I wonder what Moderate will look like if that's the case.

@Sandra126

This came up some days ago so I phoned to see what was up.  That is the only reason that I know it starts in January.

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Community-Help/Error-in-the-Help-Centre-s-Explanation-of-the-Strict/...