my guest wasn't aware his booking had been successful

Joanna22
Level 2
Killyleagh, United Kingdom

my guest wasn't aware his booking had been successful

My guest is booked from tomorrow 2nd June until 9th June.  We were sent a reminder from Airbnb that he was coming.  When we contacted him about arrival times he was unaware that his booking had been successful.  He has been unable to contact Airbnb to let them know this.  He says he has had no correspondence from Airbnb.

18 Replies 18
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Joanna22

He can contact Airbnb through their social media or call them.

Is he saying he tried to book but got no booking confirmation - wasn't clear from your post?

Joanna22
Level 2

He says he got "chucked off the site" when he was booking and got no confirmation. He has been looking for a phone number or way of contacting Airbnb but hasn't been able to find one.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Joanna22

Hi Joanna, if his booking was successful he would have paid via credit card or bank transfer at that point and you would have a confirmed reservation reference! I cannot imagine that he would not have been aware of it.....Airbnb do not take bookings on a promise!!

Is he perhaps trying to get out of this booking??

At this point I would message the guest and tell them that all is in readiness for their arrival on the 2nd of June and that you will do all in your power to help them enjoy their stay until the 9th! The ball is in their court then....either they go through with the stay or they cancel.

You have to force the issue Joanna and this is the best way to do it....and if a problem arises down the track you have your message stream to substantiate your position!

Cheers......Rob 

Joanna22
Level 2

I didn't realise money came out of his account when booking - I understood it came out of his account when he arrived.  When we contacted him he had no idea that he had made a reservation. I think he's telling the truth.  What is the contact number he should phone?

@Joanna22 The guest payment is required at time of reservation. Airbnb holds on to that, then issues payment to the host (minus fees) the day after guest check-in (my "Payout of $000 sent" email usually arrives in my inbox 3~5PM). The cash shows up in my account about 3 business days after I get the payout email. 

It's hard to understand how the guest wasn't aware about his booking. Wouldn't people notice a credit card payment or less money in their account? Even if he is telling the truth, it's the guest's responsiblity to log on to his Airbnb account, check his reservation status, and look for the "cancel" button or number to call - not the host. 

He doesn't have an Airbnb account but thanks for getting back to me. Is there a number he could call?

I think Airbnb takes all the money at the time of booking (they certainly did when I was a guest) but doesn't send payout until the day after checkin.  That's how Airbnb makes most of its money -- holding millions of dollars in short term high interest accounts.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Joanna

Surly as Hosts, our responsibilities starts when the guest arrives, we have no responsibility regarding Guests placing a booking or not as he is suggesting, I’d follow @Robin advice and place the ball firmly back in his court, you have nothing to lose except your booking fee!

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer's Club Krakow III

The Explorer's Club Krakow VIII

Joanna85
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

Leave it alone, as the other hosts advise.  If you worry about every single guest and their doings before they even arrive..you'll be stressed out lol.  We pay Airbnb a fee, and that fee is primarily to take care of the booking and payment stuff.  A lot of times people seem so darn sincere--but they are trying to back out or get something for nothing.  Let the process take care of things.  He is made aware once he books that he's paid for the space..and they get a confirmation of the booking right away, just like you do..he's paid for it and very well knew he did.  I have observed many Airbnb guests are ridiculously frugal and I really cannot see one of these frugal people not knowing money has been taken from their bank account.

lol. Very true. How does one not know they have a hotel reservation? Have they not checked their e-mail or phone in 2 weeks. That doesn't exist in this culture of technology and always being plugged in.

Joanna85
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

@Joanna22

Of course he has an Airbnb account...how else could he book the reservation?!  

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Joanna85 @Cormac0 @Jessica-and-Henry0 @Cormac0

That Joanna (from Las Vegas) is the crux of this argument....the guest could not possibly book unless he had an Airbnb account!!

People do try to find strange ways around situations, and it is still my feeling this person has had something else crop up, or has had a change of heart and is assuming that by doing nothing, the problem will go away. He may not even be aware that his card has been charged. @Joanna22...oh boy this is getting a bit confusing with two Joanna's.....just send him a "We are looking forward to your stay" through that message stream that accompanied this reservation which he says he doesn't have and let him sort it out with the company he says he doesn't have an account with!!!

Hey on second thoughts if this guy knows as little about what is going on in his life as this thread suggests maybe he would not be a good guest to host anyway. Could be better to get onto Airbnb in England on +44 203 318 1111 or locally 02033181111....tell them you do not feel comfortable with aspects of this guests reservation and get them to relocate this person they don't know anything about!!

Cheers.....Rob

Jayesh0
Level 10
Urangan, Australia

@Joanna22

Click on the picture of his profile.  If an error / whoops message comes up then his profile has been removed from the site and the booking will not proceed anyway.

Lisa

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Lisa  

Spot on Lisa...this will tell immediately if he is an account holder or not.....why didn't I think of that??

Hey, how the hell are you stranger?

Cheers.....Rob