guests not cleaning house

guests not cleaning house

Hello, what are you to do when a guest says x amount of people are coming yet they bring 4 more than house holds and puts air mattresses to accomodate the extra people then leaves house a mess?  Can we charge them the extra cost for cleaning and washing the laundry as the cleaning service had charged me $85 dollars in addition to the cleaning fee. 

5 Replies 5
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Johnny76  You can send a request for money to guest, but I doubt you'll be paid and you'll probably get a retaliatory review for asking for it. The best you can do is in your review mark them 1* and thumbs down. Explain that they brought 4 unregistered guest in addition to the 12 registered the house can hold and left the property a total mess costing you additional cleaning fee's. You would not host them again.

but if i do that wont they retailate and leave bad feedback

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Johnny76 they can't see your review before they write one

@Johnny76  Both the guest and the host have 14 days to leave a review. If you leave one, but the guest does not yours gets posted after 14 days. If you both do a review they post when they both are turned in. They are blind reviews. You cannot see theirs and they cannot see yours until the are publicly posted.   

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Hello @Johnny76.  Looks like you are just ramping up your listing of the your entire house and your profile.  You are giving over the keys to your lovely home to strangers who are now called "guests" and you need to find a way to vet them before you accept the reservation.  Part of that vetting process should include previous positive reviews and full Air BNB verification process. 

For example your profile is skimpy so if you were to seek a reservation with many hosts, you would not be accepted.  It is a two way street.

Are you able to greet the guests to ensure they know the rules and you can verify the guests are registered?  You need to have rules that support your expectation of no unregistered guests.  I ask for the full names of all the people in a guest party.  Other hosts install a door camera that you can sync with your smart phone.

Usually extra cost of cleaning is not considered appropriate as a claim for the security deposit unless something has been stained or damaged in such a way to require professional response.  Many of us will have guests that require additional cleaning and we will also have guests that require very little effort.

You also need to be educated about the review system so you understand how this all works.  The Help Center is a good resource about giving reviews and responding to reviews.  You are also able to link to a guest's profile to read the reviews.

Good luck in this new business.  Wish you the best of luck and keep coming back to this host forum as part of your education.  Helped me a lot! 😄