dissatisfied guest air bnb refund policy??? re complaint

Lois51
Level 1
Kaleden, Canada

dissatisfied guest air bnb refund policy??? re complaint

My guests checked in for 6 nights and from day 1 they had concerns in regards to the can opener not working (it does) too many mosquitos, too many bees.  Not enough shade for the children.  I also explained the drawbacks of being in a trailer...if too many electrical appliances are running at the same time the breaker will shut off, kettles are notorious for that.  They have blown the fuse 4 times now and use a kettle every day.  They dont like the water and had concerns with it.  We are in the country, it is from a well.  Also we are in a boil water advisory area, huge resort town, boil water.  This was discussed and is mentioned on my listing.  We have filters, the water is safe but because of sulpher in it, it has an odor.    We have since looked into and changed the breaker system over at a cost of 200.00.  I try and meet guests needs and make their stay enjoyable.  The last concern and i must agree it wld be upsetting but again, out of my control, in the country in a trailer with food their are rodents.  One made the way into the trailer, they only saw evidence of it.  I got traps, cleaned the entire trailer and closed up any holes I cld find, apologized and gave them a gift card.    Not acceptable they want their money back and will be contacting Airbnb in hopes that it will be refunded.    What is the policy regarding unhappy guests?

9 Replies 9
Geoff22
Level 10
Bellevue, WA

You can only do so much "disclosing" without making your place sound really sketchy, but you might want to emphasize the "rustic and wild" nature of your listing - more than once, or in more than one way, just to avoid people coming in with expectations of a more 'city' place vs. "remote" place.   And spend the $200 to get that electrical issue fixed.   Blowing breakers may be just inconvenient to you but if I was a guest, I would be put out if it kept happening and it is a marginal safety issue.

Did spend the money on the electrical. And will go a bit further with my description.   Thanks for everyone’s help.  the can opener was a Manual one and they cldnt work it.  They went a bought an electric kettle.  Learning the ropes and will be direct about NO electric kettle.  I agree that the breaker going would frustrate me as a guest.  

Yun8
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Hi @Lois51,

Here is Airbnb's Guest Refund Policy: https://www.airbnb.co.nz/help/article/544/what-is-airbnb-s-guest-refund-policy-for-homes

You are obviously a fantastic host and it sounds like you have done everything in your power and more in order to help this guest.

If your guest wanted to be away from the bees and have access to de-ionised water she should not have booked your place which has "Country Comforts" in the listing title!

Unfortunately from the many stories on the forum, Airbnb Support tend to side with guests.

Hopefully all the things you have done to resolve your guest's issues and all of your communications are contained in the Airbnb app through messaging which will help with arguing your case if it comes to that.

Hi thanks for the info.  I see it does look like Airbnb sides with the guest.  I think perhaps they know what they are doing.  They never left.  They completed their stay here.  On Thursday they sent a message on Airbnb about mouse dirt in a drawer.   That’s all they sent.  I didn’t reply. I went down there immediately and cleaned and removed everything.  They knew the first day they arrived that I had found a mouse.   Yet they stayed.  I disclosed it on the first day.   Will Airbnb allow me an explanation? They are still here.  7 days using my propane.  Electricity etc.   

the only worse than a guest who gets refunded for leaving is a guest who gets refunded AFTER staying. 

This sounds like a guest that very early on would have gotten this message from me: It seems like you're unhappy here, would you like to stay or would you like to go?

How can they ask for a refund after staying if you've gotten on record that despite everything they are choosing to stay??

With a guest like this, I would be on record (within the message thread) repeating every one of their complaints and either how you have addressed it or how you had already mentioned it in your listing.

I'm sorry the breaker has tripped, as I told you earlier, when you turn on the kettle you must turn off xy&z. The electrical panel is meant to run one heavy load item at a time. Please follow this instruction tomorrow when you make tea.

I'm sorry that you find the country to have too many bees, they are good for pollination & we're glad they're here. Here is an article about bee habitats...

I'm sorry you've not found enough shade for the children, we particularly enjoy (the park, the big tree out back, whatever...)

I'm sorry that you found mouse droppings, I've thoroughly cleaned the entire kitchen area, as I mentioned to you in a country space like this it is vitally important that you put away - in closed containers - all food items, dispose of rubbish in the closed top bins, and always wipe up spills and crumbs. If you follow these instructions the nature should not have a reason to follow you into the trailer.

A unique space requires some unique strategies, since many people will be ill equipped to go with the reality. Being proactive is your best move. Good luck

Yun8
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Hi @Lois51,

The best scenario would be Airbnb Customer Service makes the (correct) decision that the guest is not entitled to any refund, as your guests did not contact them until after finishing their stay.

However, if CS contact you regarding giving this guest any sort of refund, you should stand your ground and inform them of everything that you did for the guest. The key seems to be citing their policy back at them.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Considering the reality @Lois51 of your place, I would do a few things:

1. Remove the electrical water kettle, they are over-the-top in power usage. It's a remote trailer, not a condo.

2. If the electrical can opener is too tricky, remove it also. They are in the woods, use hand type.

3. Provide filtered water (5 gallon on a pedestal type). No more worrying about boiling water.

4. Work on your description to be more explicit as to the type of guest your offering is perfectly suited to. Serves to help those that can't think.

Remember, in hosting, 'nothing has to be'.

@Fred13

Ditto to all of the above.

@Lois51

Reduce all unnecessary electrical items even with the upgraded service. List house rules to say “don’t bring unapproved electrical items”. (fire risk).

When I was in Alaska a Park ranger said people could rent cabins in the Tsongas National forest. There is no bottled water, electricity or indoor plumbing. There are insects and wild animals. You have to be flown in on a small plane.  People still rent them anyway.

Without being negative make sure your guests know your trailer is safe but rustic and out in nature.

But your current guests aren’t entitled to a refund if they stayed. Sadly we’ve all had guests who want a cheap alternative to a hotel but expect the Four Seasons when they arrive.

^^^ "List house rules to say “don’t bring unapproved electrical items”. (fire risk)."

In my island, which relies on solar power, AC is not to be found, and a hair dryer, a microwave, a toaster (for example), are not to be found. Yes, guests accept such limitations, when told up front, and perhaps such limitations to be considered before booking, helps them decide whether the place is for them or not.