county hotel occupancy tax

Natalie311
Level 2
Stroudsburg, PA

county hotel occupancy tax

I've learned today that Airbnb is not collecting the 3% Hotel Occuancy Tax for Monroe County, PA. They collect 6% State tax but not county. After several calls to Airbnb, I am still confused and so are the 3 people I spoke to at Airbnb. Anyone in the same situation? What is the best way to collect this tax? I don't know how guests will feel paying taxes, fees and now more taxes. Things would have been much easier if Airbnb would collect 9% up front instead of 6% and leaving me to collect the 3%!

5 Replies 5
Judy289
Level 2
Seal Rock, OR

I’m so confused on the same issue.  Unfortunately the county I live in has a 10% county transient Room Tax.  I was told by someone at Airbnb to collect it through their “Resolution Center”.  But, I’m just not clear how to do this?  How do I ask the guest to pay this?  Please help !!!

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

I just build the county tax into my rate. It's too much of a pain to do it through the Resolution Center and people who don't read your rules get upset to be charged more after the booking. 

Maranda2
Level 1
Philadelphia, PA

After 12+ ppl paid, stayed and had an awesome time in the Pennsylvania Poconos, we were asked by the owner via VRBO message, to pay the additional 3% Hotel & Lodging Tax.

Not a lot of money, but try charging and collecting $3.17 per person.... after the fact!

Wish we would have been told and charged up front. Hoping VRBO can help this to happen going forward.

Erika173
Level 2
Bakersfield, CA

I’m just as confused about the 3% Monroe county tax. I’ve worked with Airbnb and the county and both are saying I have to deal with it. 

I just cannot ask people after they book to pay more, even if it’s a tax. Then I have to learn about quarterly tax papers ontop of it all. 

Anyone have an idea on how to deal with this situation? 

From reading many other hosts replies on this I will also incorporate the 3% lodging tax in to my nightly rate. Seems it is the only easy solution besides Airbnb giving the opportunity for the host to add the fee. Would seriously safe so much headache. Charging the guest after the fact is out of the question for me.