cancellation in the middle of a booking

Lulu6
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

cancellation in the middle of a booking

I have a guest who originally booked for one person 2 months ago and then increased to 2 approx 2 weeks ago who has informed me today that a family member is ill and they are needing to return to their country and therefore cut short their stay. If this is in fact true I have absolutely no problem with releasing  him of their booking and refunding a portion of their payment once I have been able to take another booking. He booked the accommodation more than 2 months ago and I had many requests at the time for the location but now things seem to be slowing down, therefore I would like to confirm another booking for that period before refunding them. What is the normal protocol and how would I open those dates again in order to hopefully get a further booking. Suggestions please on the best way forward

6 Replies 6
Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Lulu6

Guest would have to cancel on the basis of  extenuating circumstances.

But they have to cancel. I you get an email from ABB asking if you agree, DON'T, because it will bounce cancellation with all penalties back on you!

Lulu6
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

thank you for that info.

would they have to submit info to ABB to substantiate. Furthermore as I have already received payment how would they be reinbursed if I got another booking for the days available

@Lulu6

AirBnB will debit any refund against a future payment you receive, if their cancellation falls under extenuating circumstances. If it doesnt; and you want to refund them personally through the AirBnB platform, you can do that. But make sure they are not reimbursed twice - as them to cancel and let them know they can probably obtain a full refund via AirBnB for extentuating circumstances, but they need to manage that - you cannot do that on their behalf.

again, thank you

Lulu6
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

so if I am unable to fill that period again to make up the loss it that my problem?

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Lulu6

if those days are still blocked it means they did not cancel.

If they did not cancel than you can not rebook those days and they will not get any money back.

When and if they cancel than they will get some money back depends of your cancellation policy. Or they should prove extenuating circumstances to get full refund 

It is between them and Airbnb. You don't have to give them more than Airbnb decides.