a guest asking for a partial refund

Robert188
Level 3
Silver Spring, MD

a guest asking for a partial refund

We had a happy guest arrive, verify all was good, declined assitance with the hot tub and leave with without any requests, notifications, or following written check out instructions. No problem we have back up solutions to meet our deadlines intime for the next arrving guest. The problem arrived a week later when the quest wrote that he was about to write the review of the property and the area that he generally liked but requested a $150.00 refund off his 4 day retreat reporting he did not feel comfortable with the PH reading on the hottub, and did not get in but thought we might have something growing of the bottom of the tub. He also stated he was a "reasonable person."  This is a large property with fire pit, hot tub, acres, kitchen and medication gardens.  Guests have full exclusive use of the property, and we have a small army that visits the property between each guests, and another team that visits weekly to care for landscape, fountains and hot tub.  We were told by phone after check in that the property was excellent, and no problems.  We informed him that our housekeeper reported  a small quanity of sand in the hot tub and offered to have someone come back out and help him verify the chemistry of the tub, a process that he would do daily if they were going to use the hot tub.  He declined help stating members of his group were familiar with maintaing pools, and one was a marine, they had a handle on it.

The offer for the review was tied to his request for a refund and requested the photo he said he had and then contacted every part of the maintence and management team to verify the information I had received at check in. The guests filed a resolution request stating the propety was not clean, or as described and requested a refund of $150.00 (same as the fee charged to clean and set up the entire property for their use). After verifiying that the tub had been drained and scrubed a week prior to arrival, and that the tub had the chemicals checked and filters cleaned within 72 hours of the guests arrival. I wrote the guests a nice note, thanked them for voicing their concerns, and stressed the importance of communiction about fears and needs at the time so any concerns could be addressed at the time.  He eventually agreed that the property was clean, but did not like my public reivew of the experince which was matter of fact and mostly good.  At this time the resolution center still holds the case open, and I can not find a number to call anyone to see what they might still need or want to close the case. Thanks for your input.

13 Replies 13
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

It sounds like the guest is trying it on.

You can find the number on your booking confirmation. Give BnB a call. From what you have said there is no reason for a refund.

If there had been a problem he could have notified you during the stay/taken up offers of help.

@Robert188, yes, sounds like he's trying to push his luck. 

You can reach AirBnB via the Help link at bottom of this page.

Or via Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/airbnb/?fref=ts

Or – if you have a Twitter account - try twitter@airbnbhelp. It’s said there’s a quick response.

More essential reading for hosts. Contains a link with several international phone numbers (‘How to contact AirBnB’).

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/General-Hosting/Community-Help-Guides/m-p/23100#U23100

The UK number.

+44 203 318 1111

Yes I agree, thanks, I am finding it difficult to find a number to reach a live person, but will continue with that effort.  We do have a open resolution case, but I do not understand why it is still open after the guest admited that the tub was clean in writting via AirBnB. Thanks for the input.

The guest is trying to pull a fast one
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

You are being blackmailed effectively - get in touch with AirBnB and keep all correspondence with the guest on the AirBnB platform. 

agree 100 percent,

Carly8
Level 1
Waco, TX

I think he is trying go get over on you. When a person acts like that over nothing and wants some money back, it's usually they spent too much money on their own person finances. So, they try find any small thing wrong and want money back. If you can get ahold of AirbNb tell them the situation.

Yes going back to the beginng of the correspondance after we accepted the booking, there was an attempt to check in early.  When I offered him a sweet deal on the night before to take it off the market to allow them to check in a leisure he did not respond until the night before check in and say they would not arrive until the next day, but still wanted an early check in and asked if the tub was closed due to draught.  I think that was the first hope of fishing for an offset, because once they arrived they were not very interested in using the hot tub. We are new to AirBnB but have rented on another platform without incident for several years. (*&*&&^%&(*!!!  It seems to be very difficult to find a number of custormer service to speak with a live person.

Did you know that Google will find things on the net... Like phone numbers to companies like AirBnB.  Isn't that amazing.

Mike
AirBnB Treehouse for Rent
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/7292887

Thank you found it on ww.tripping.com/industry/rental-companies/airbnb-customer-service

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Loetta

I did mention in my response to you , in my earlier post, that it was on your booking confirmation.

Thank you.

Issue is closed, and now marked as such on the resolution board.  Thank you all for your help.