Zoning - City is looking at amending current zoning restriction

Christopher325
Level 1
Portland, ME

Zoning - City is looking at amending current zoning restriction

South Portland council votes tonight on short-term rental limits; court fight possible

This new ordiance effects me negatively.  I own a 3 unit, so I will not be able to offer or use short-term rentals in my building.  I am not sure why they have decided to exclude 3 or more units from participating in hosted and non hosted stays, but this decision will negatively impact our ability supplment our overall operational costs.  Does anyone have any insight into this issue and if there's legal recourse that may result in a positive ammendment?  

1 Reply 1
Hank9
Level 3
Portland, ME

Hi Christopher. Last fall my gf and I bought property in Ferry Village that we intended to use in part as an AirBnB. On February 20, 2018, the South Portland City Council did indeed pass an ordinance that makes it confusing and almost impossible to have a unit. I've read the new ordinance, and even had a City official explain the new code to me, and I don't understand what's permited.

I do understand that what is not permitted pretty much smashes almost all of the units in town. It crushes our hopes for our property.

My only hope is that the City Council revisits the law and makes it less restrictive.

A link to the ordinance can be found ORDINANCE #13-17/18 – Amending Chapter 27 “ ZONING,” regarding Short Term Rentals.

Nicholas