Will vacation rentals work if not on the water or in the city?

Will vacation rentals work if not on the water or in the city?

Greetings Community!

I have spent several years floating the idea of buying a second home to either rent out part-time via AIRBNB or VRBO etc. or rent it out full-time as a straight residential property.  I'm not going to ask for the difference between the two as there are already many threads on that topic, however I have a different question to ask.  Is it possible to purchase a property that is more rural and not in a vacation area and still experience success?  In my case, I feel most comfortable buying a property I can support and service myself, so I have two great vacation areas to choose from in New York State - the Finger Lakes area and the Lake Ontario area.  However, the instant I look at properties directly on either Lake Ontario or the Finger Lakes, the prices seem to instantly jump by $100,000 and the idea starts to become less feasible.  So, with that background information:

- Do properties that are not directly inside vacation "hot spots" rent well for vacations, or do they sit empty?

When I search rentals in my area, they are all clustered directly on the water, and the properties I have been looking at are in the empty spots 20 miles away from the water.  Is there a pool of vacation renters who simply like to sit on a nice piece of property with 20 acres of crickets and deer around them, or is it futile unless it is on a major navigable, fishable body of water?

Thanks for any input, particularly if you have experience renting a property such as the one I described above.

2 Replies 2
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

I'm outside of the city limits on 6+ acres. I state I'm a rural location, but I am only 15-20 minutes away from SeaWorld and Lackland Air Force Base two of the most visited places in San Antonio. So it works for me. 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

Seems to work for this guy in my area...

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1356722