Why was charged a $100 cancellation fee as a Host????

Answered!
Shannon157
Level 2
Rio Rancho, NM

Why was charged a $100 cancellation fee as a Host????

Prospective guest and I miscommunicated, and I only had 1 of the 2 dates she wanted available. I offered different date, but she could not use it. She asked me to cancel, so I did.

Then Airbnb charged me $100 cancellation fee?????? I'm new to this hosting, but this is crazy!!

1 Best Answer
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hello @Shannon157 ,

There are penalties when you cancel a reservation:  What penalties apply if I need to cancel a reservation?

It also states: "The fee will be waived for your first cancellation within a 6-month period."  I noticed in your profile there is another recent cancellation ?

You have 2 listings and several reviews, so you are allready have some experience in hosting, but be aware of this cancellation stuff !

Hope this helps,Emiel

View Best Answer in original post

16 Replies 16

@Judean1  This is just a discussion forum for hosts and guests. You have to contact Airbnb customer service directly. 

A guest cannot Instant Book dates which are shown as unavailable, so either you didn't have your calendar up to date, or it is a tech glitch. 

@Judean1 Sorry but I am afraid you deserve the penalty. It is the hosts responsibility to keep their calendar up to date especially if they allow Instant Booking. 

The other thing you need to do urgently is add a check out time to your listing. At present guests could stay until midnight on their leaving day.!!!!!!