Why are guests who cancelled reservation or failed to show up to reservation able to leave a review?

Gelila0
Level 2
Washington, DC

Why are guests who cancelled reservation or failed to show up to reservation able to leave a review?

Hi all, 

I had a guest who failed to show up for their reservation. I contacted Airbnb because it was 1am and guest was not responding to any messages. Airbnb contacted guests and gave guest 30 mintues to respond. Since guest never responded, Airbnb deemed reservation as cancelled on behalf of the guest. The next day, guest wanted a refund and became angry. Airbnb is now allowing the guest to leave a review. I am not sure why a guest that never stayed in the home be allowed to review the home.

8 Replies 8
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Hello @Gelila0. So as not to discriminate the guest... If you know what I mean. 😉

Airbnb is full of such contradictions, it's a shame, most hosts here will confirm.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Gelila0 if you will search the CC you will see that this topic is mentioned & the rationale explained in depth.. Essentially, the answer is that the review process is this way in order to call out lisings that are so terrible that a guest arrives and then determines not to stay (cancels). It isn't your situation but you're caught up in the backwash of that plan. You will also be able to review the guest so go ahead and say 'this guest booked and then failed to show up, we wish them successful travels in the future' or some such

Hopefully you have written enough in the message thread that all your communication is documented and you can counteract the guest's claims if their review is untruthful. Certainly reach out to CS and ask for help if something they say in the review is not right.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

If the guest did not step foot on your listing, you can have the review removed, @Gelila0. The reason a cancelled guest's review is allowed is to warn others of the terrible things they found when they arrived. Cancelled no-shows are in the grey area of being invited to review, but by rights not allowed to since the review is not of their experience in the listing. 

I had a cancelled unrefunded no-show this summer who was fighting mad and keen to rant in a review. I phoned Airbnb, and since it was clearly not her experience, the review was removed. 

You can do the same. Make sure to pull up the Help Centre policy around reviews so you have it in front of you when you call. Quoting it will help. 

If for some reason your request is denied, as things may have changed in admin since the summer, you can respond to the review publicly on your page. Make sure it is very brief and professional. "This guest did not show up or let us know, but did wish a review after the fact. Her review does not reflect her experience." Something like that. I do hope you get it removed, though. Will you let us know?

Deborah353
Level 2
Stoneyburn, United Kingdom

My guest did not turn up due to cancelled trains. She considered arriving the next day so didn’t cancel. She then demanded a full refund. I offered 50% despite a strict cancellation policy. She then threatened me with a bad review if I didn’t pay in full. She gave me a 1 star review and Airbnb have refused to remove it. 

@Deborah353 the communication with the guest where she threatened you with a bad review: was that via the AirBnB messaging system?

Did you mention to support that the review was due to an attempt at Extortion (which is one of specific grounds for review removal)?

Deborah353
Level 2
Stoneyburn, United Kingdom

Yes and yes, but I got nowhere. I was just given platitudes about why the review would not be removed. 

@Deborah353 that's very disappointing to hear.

Some people have had luck trying again and getting a different representative.

Some have gotten results by posting their story to AirBnB's twitter feed or Facebook page.

AirBnB Twitter: @Airbnb
AirBnB Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/airbnb/

The guest's review is not that bad. I don't think it would put me off of renting from you, as her beef really reads as being more about cancellation policies than anything else.

Harry-and-Tatiana0
Level 3
Terrigal, Australia

Exactly the same problem. How can you review something you haven’t seen? It’s the very height of madness and something Airbnb needs to address. 

There’s a world of difference between seeing a property, thinking “Oh my god, it’s not what we expected” and reviewing on that basis, and the guests who cancel on the day of arrival. 

Cheers from Tatiana & Harry