Which inventions do you rely on for hosting?

Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Which inventions do you rely on for hosting?

Lightbulb.jpg

Hi all,

National Inventors' Day is celebrated on Feb 11th in the US so I thought it would be a good time to reflect on which inventions have made our lives as hosts easier!

Feb 11th is the official date in the US, as it is the anniversary of the birth of Thoma Alva Edison, a famous American inventor with over 1000 patents to his name, including the first incandescent lightbulb. Inventors' Day is celebrated on various other dates throughout the year in other countries, depending on the inventor or invention they are particularly proud of! 

So which inventions do you rely on the most for hosting? Is the washing machine your biggest time saver? Or maybe it's the vacuum cleaner or the toaster that you couldn't live without? 

Imagine what life would be like without those products you use every day... would you still be able to host?

Although I'm not a host, I reckon the washing machine would be the item I would miss the most if I were - hand-washing is so time-consuming and irritates my hands!

I look forward to hearing your views!

Kirstie

2 Replies 2
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Kirstie

Oh hell Kirstie, over 50 views and not one comment....you must be wondering what you are doing there  🙂

Ok, I will get the ball rolling.....

Wifi....When my father grew up there was no TV. A phone call was something that someone else had to physically make a connection to in order to say 'hello' to someone on the other end of that 'Bakelite' handset...there were no automatic transmisions in cars....Hell, there were not even any bloody car radios!

Even 10 years ago you carried your information around with you in pamphlets and brochures, but you did not for a second expect someone else to provide whatever information you wanted in your hand free of charge for you! You had to go and get it...

Now we have Wifi, the passport to life as we know it! It gives the guest the world at their fingertips without them having to move off their bed or put their hand in their pocket. It takes the 'knowledge' out of being a host! It directs them to all the best wineries, the best restaurants, what events may be on it town. Wifi has become my best friend because I can't do anything wrong....I can't give wrong advice....all I have to do is make it available! And guests love it, no, more than that, these days, they expect it!

I can find a way to wash linen without pushing a button or two Kirstie. A guest can always contact me by phone or an email. A guest can put what ever they want in that fridge. They can always get a good nights sleep in that bed. But my Wifi makes me the 'Funk and Wagnells' of Mt Barker and the world.......and nothing else can do that!

Cheers.....Rob

Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks for stepping up to the challenge @Robin4 ;)! 

Of course, the internet/Wifi is a real necessity in our modern world, good choice! It's hard to remember how we lived without it!

I hope guests do still appreciate your local knowledge though and don't rely solely on the internet for their local recommendations, I'm sure you've got plenty of local tips to share!

I must admit, I had to look up your 'Funk and Wagnells' reference - I've never heard of their encyclopedia! In the UK it's all about the Encyclopedia Britannica!

Kirstie