When guests do not give a review

Allan-C-0
Level 3
New York, NY

When guests do not give a review

Hello All,

In March we hosted our first guest, a college student from out of town-her first time using ABB too.   She stayed two days and everything went well with her stay.  As you all know we are given a time frame as to give and get reviews and within the time frame we gave her a very nice review.  I noticed we were coming up on the close time to have these reviews in-I reached out to the guest and gave a friendly reminder and I believe ABB also sent her a reminder as well.  She stated she was doing her midterms and she will definately once she has the chance to give the review ...we still have not gotten a review from her. ...  In this case I am very curious, if a guest does not give a review and you have given a review...What becomes of this?  If any one can please shed a little light on this for me I would greatly appreciate it or if you have experienced anything like this ..... It felt a little disappointing.... 

9 Replies 9
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hello @Allan-C-0.

It is not an obligation to give a review...

If she does not write a review, and review time has elapsed, you review will appear upon her profile.

And you will have to wait for the next guest, hopefully writing a review.

Best regards, Emiel

Hi @Emiel1, Thank you for responding.   I thought it was an obligation for guest to give a review as we are...but that was helpful ... thank you again..

Tawanna 

Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Allan-C-0,

Within a day of checking out a guest should receive a notification on their Airbnb account and an email prompting them to write a review. If they don't write one they should receive a reminder giving the remaining time period they have to write one.

Neither side can see the other's review until both have written one or, if only one side writes a review, until after the 14 day review window has passed. That is, if only one party writes a review that review will appear on the other's profile after 14 days.

If you write a review you can edit it within 48 hours or until the other party writes one, whichever is sooner.

Some guests don't write a review even when also reminded by the host. It's particularly frustrating when a host is starting out and is eager to build a reputation by getting good reviews.

Steve.

Hi @Steve143,  Yes, we did all we can do on our part as writing a review for her and we waited patiently for her to write her review and we havent received anyting.  I was just wondering if this is an obligation to be done because I know when I go into the "Progress" screen it rates you as a host and I didnt want anything to taint that but as @Emiel1 stated it isnt an obligation, however, my goal is to make a superhost and to ensure all our guests are happy with us and to post as we are posting on their behalf as well  

Thank you for responding to my post and clarifying any concerns and questions @Steve143 and @Emiel1

Fiona248
Level 2
Byron Bay, Australia

Thanks for the information in this post. I've been in the same circumstance. It's frustrating when you're starting out. Our guests even sent us a lovely email saying how wonderful their stay was and what beautiful accommodation it is. I just wish they could have copied and pasted that into the review for AirBNB. 

@Fiona248

I started out as a guest user before becoming a host and to be honest, I was not aware how important reviews are when I was only a guest user. I just assumed a review is nice to have but not really a big deal so I didn't really think much about the review reminders. Before becoming a host I was actually the type to leave a review if I had a complaint or was totally blown over and really wanted to brag+leave a rave review but but nothing if things were just "okay and as expected". So I specifically asked my first few guests to please leave me a review since I had none/few and I'd appreciate the support. All my guests till now were happy to help me out!

Hi Jessica & Henry,

Thanks for your input. Sadly I did ask them to leave a review and put emphasis on the fact that I am new to AirBNB and the feedback from them would really help me out. They were lovely people but just not willing to spend time once back to the real world. 

I think it would be great if AirBNB made it compulsory for guests to leave a review.

@Fiona248, I understand how you are feeling because I just dont understand to reach out and say so many strong things and freelings that you have experienced in your stay but not mention it in the proper area.  I read in another members profile they would leave personal thank you notes for guests and in the note would also say please do not forget to give us a review.  I think this may be the way to go.  If you are able to grap a pack of nice thank you notes or cards and leave a nice handwritten note to your guests and give a gentle reminder of the review.  Maybe that could work.. I guess in this journey I am learning some will give  a review and then there are those few who you have to just wonder....Will they give me a review.  It becomes frustrating and it was very disappointing for us because she was our first guest.