What is a reasonable cleaning fee?

Ronan0
Level 2
Donegal, Ireland

What is a reasonable cleaning fee?

Hi everyone,

I ave been hosting on AirBnb for a few months and I am currently doing all the cleaning and laundry myself.

What is a reasonable cleaning fee to charge? I am currently charging €25 but it is taking me so long (its a 3 bedroom house) not to mention the cost of laundry.

Your views would be very much appreciated.

Ronan

23 Replies 23
Mike77
Level 10
Bend, OR

Why can't people charge what their time is worth?  What is so difficult about that idea?

If you are not being paid enough for your time, raise the price of the "cleaning fee" so that is worth your time.

If I was doing a graphic project for someone I would charge what my time is worth, if I am cleaning up after someone, I charge what my time is worth.  If they don't like it, they can go somewhere else.

Mike
AirBnB Treehouse for Rent
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/7292887

Market conditions and the going rate are also influences on what should be charged..... if you charged €5000 per hour for yoru graohic design I'm sure your business would not survive!

Kika1
Level 8
Kloten, Switzerland

Hi Ronan, 

what is the going rate of a cleaner in your area? multiply that by the hours you need to clean / launder after a guest has left, plus associated costs. 

Kelly58
Level 4
Vass, NC

Dont forget to add more for what Airbnb will take out of your cleaning fee (3%)  so maybe add 4%.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Ronan0, I don't charge a cleaning fee at all, as I like the cost the guests see upfront is the actual cost, without extras. Silly, I know. The main reason as I see it for the cleaning fee (as it is baked into my stays) is to reward guests staying longer, as it works out cheaper per night. If you charge 100 per night plus 30 cleaning fee, then one night single stay is 130. A week is 730. Long stay benefit!

Not charging at all for cleaning doesn't mean it doesn't cost me anything, but I am not out of pocket as it is in the price.

And one night stays for me are annoying as the cleaning load is so much greater on my time (which is precious to me) but all those guests bring other guests and they return, staying longer etc. The more guests I have, the more guests I get. I see one night stays as promos.

I don't charge a cleaning fee, but in my guest book, AT the property I remind them that there is NO daily service and to clean up after themselves to keep costs lower than hotels. Also, I only book 2 night mininum. I am a director, and have a family, I can not be running down there to change bed sheets every other night. I have gymnastics, yoga, etc. I keep my rent low and my place booked.

my place is a quiet place to sleep, no events.

Lisa171
Level 2
Stockton, CA

I was charged a $60 cleaning fee for a 3 day stay. In return, I expect a "hospitality" type of basic cleaning service.

Instead, the host sent me a list of pre-departure cleaning duties to perform such as stripping the bed sheets, carrying trash to the dumpster, etc.

If I am being asked to clean the apartment, why am I being charged $60?

? You think that bringing the garbage down and stripping a bed is cleaning? It's called cleaning up after yourself. It takes 2-3 hours to actually fully deep clean an Airbnb, any bit from the guest helps. Most guests have to come out of pocket to pay for a cleaning service.

I agree that you should not be expected to perform those duties. I ask my guests to clean up after themselves if they use dishes. Putting their plates in the dishwasher seems like a small ask!

I tell my guests to simply enjoy their stay, the cleaning is my job.

I think asking those things are fairly normal. Bringing out the trash for example helps to keep the place clean and eliminate any bugs/little creatures from hanging around especially if you live in a warmer climate. 

The cleaning fee is also so that the property is ready for your arrival - fresh towels, clean linens, perhaps a cleaning service etc. Some hotels charge "Resort Fees" which can be attributed to these things as well. 

Hotels however, have "all inclusive" rates which air bnb does a little differently, so for example - when a hotel says it is 300.00 per night, thats inclusive but I could advertise as $200, plus $100 cleaning fee.... It really doesn't matter.

If you think stripping your bedsheets and emptying your trash is cleaning, I would hate to see the state of the place you live. After every guest I have several loads of laundry to do - blankets, comfortor covers, sheets, towels, and carpets. I vaccuum, dry mop, then wet mop the floors. I sanitize the kitchen and rewash the dishes to make sure they are perfect for the next guest. I scrub the shower, toilet, sinks, and floors in the bathroom. I dust and wipe everything down with a disinfectant, including the windowsills. Then I make up the beds.  All the cleaning takes me about 8 hours - and it is perfect when the next guest comes.  Stripping sheets, doing your own dishes, and taking out your own trash is not cleaning. It's being responsible for your own mess.... I don't think $60 for 8 hours of work is much, do you? I suppose if I just did a quick dust mop and changed the sheets I could get the house cleaned in half the time, but I clean it as though I will be my next guest, so it's how I would want it done. Picking up after yourself is not cleaning. It's just being responsible and respectful of someone else's house who was kind enough to open their doors to you.  

Helen830
Level 1
Cardiff, United Kingdom

I totally agree,  most don’t strip beds, etc, but I charge a £50 cleaning fee and then clean very thoroughly- it’s not a large cost on top of a bargain break 

@Lisa171 

If I am being asked to clean the apartment, why am I being charged $60?

Because  in the Terms and Conditions as a guest you agreed that you will leave the accomodation the way that you found it.

Now, that isn't very likely as I doubt very much that you cleaned the oven, windows, vaccumed and mopped the floors, washed and ironed the bedding, washed the towels, bathmats, cleaned the shower/bath, degreased the pans, polished the glassware and cutlery did you ?  Did you make up the beds? Very unlikely - but you can at least attempt to get somewhere near.

That means you need to leave the apartment in decent condition, not the cleaning.