What happens if a guest gets robbed whilst staying at your home?

Enzo6
Level 2
Bulawayo, Zimbabwe

What happens if a guest gets robbed whilst staying at your home?

Are we liable? Do we have to carry extra insurance? What about accidents? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

32 Replies 32
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Enzo6 It really depends on the situation.  All hosts should have some kind of insurance to protect them from property damage and liabilty in case  a guest gets hurt and needs medical attention.  As for robbery, well most guests have travel insurance for that , but again, it depends on the situation.  Were you negligent in any way?

No, when I was filling out the safety card just got me wondering that's all. Yes liability insurance would be a good idea. Is it something Airbnb can arrange? Thanks for guidance.

@Enzo6 You should get your own insuance cover, independant of Airbnb.

Renato81
Level 1
Belo Horizonte, Brazil

As a costumers view, our airbnb apartment in Paris was robbed. They got in the building and broke the door.

No apartment items such as tv and other equipments were not stolen. Just our money and jewelry.

Other people had access to the apartment with the owner, or the owners representantive.

There is a security problem with this particular building and we were never informed.

I cannot agree that the owner has no responsability on that.

A mere "he did not know this kind of thing would happen", or never planned, its quite disturbing to be honest.

I´ve asked for a full refund of the nights i payed. No more, no less.

I did not take long to get informed that another airbnb apartment, in this same building, had the same episode not long ago.

Its normal in Paris, says the police.

As a costurmer, i think that experience will make me never go back to a airbnb rental ever again.

The exact same thing happened to us in Las Vegas last weekend!!

Hi Renato I had the same problem in paris last week. Where did you stay? We were robbed while we were asleep in the flat - which makes it even scarier. We were probably gassed. I think property worth $ 5-6 k was taken. Airbnb has refunded my stay but i wanted to know if they are liable for the property stolen?

Hello, I am in Paris right now and we were just robbed. The person had a key. The police said it was an inside job. They stole three computers, expense head phones and a plethora of more items... how was your situation resolved?

thanks for your help,

jen

Adrian518
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Hi Amrish I had the same problem yesterday in Spain we get robbed and they took all our cash but they didn't take anything else, how did you get your refund money for the stay buddy.

Thanks 

Adrian 

Where did you stay?  

@Renato0,

Sorry you had a terrible experience.

Are you saying the host robbed you? Are you saying the host werked with the robbers? Do you have resonable proof? 

Unfortunately, Petty thefts happen all the time while traveling. It does not mean the host is responsible. We are just humble inn-keepers.  

Parisian inn-keepers are under no obligation to tell guests that theft is "normal in Paris", Just like Brazilian inn-keepers are under no obligation to tell prospective guests that Brazil has a high crime rate.

Where did you stay?  Latin quarter?

Wendy117
Level 10
Bexley, Australia

I would never travel without taking out Travel Insurance.  One time all my suitcases were removed from the boot of the car (forced open) in Montreal while I was having a coffee in a nearby Coffee Shop while waiting for check-in time.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Enzo6 

You are never responsible for criminal acts of others. 

That said, you need to take reasonable and standard cautions against crime. Locks, regular supervison, maintaining the property..... 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I do think the host bears some responsibility to take precautions if they live in a high theft area. Good door locks, a safe, exterior cameras if they are allowed in the building. And honest warnings to guests. It's only fair. I live in a tourist town where there are many thefts, altho I don't have an issue at my place, which is in the countryside, and I have a large, vigilant watchdog. But hosts who have homes in the areas which get targeted are quite clear with their guests about precautions- money and passports and credit cards in the safe, don't leave windows or doors open if you are in another area of the house, always make sure to lock up when you go in or out, don't let anyone in if they claim to be the plumber or the electrician- the property manager or owner deals with employees and would never send someone over without being there herself.

A friend who hosts in town and tells her guests all of this had a group of guests where one of the girls' bag was stolen while the guests were on the rooftop patio. They reported it to the host, but they took full responsibility- she had left her bag on the table downstairs with the window open right beside it. 

If the host is upfront with guests about theft in the area and the precautions they need to take, then I can't see that the host bears any responsibility. And guests should definitely take out travel insurance  for things like someone actually breaking in in spite of secure locks, or having something stolen out of their car.