What are your red flags when it comes to guests?

What are your red flags when it comes to guests?

Hi,

I am a brand new host. I have been fairly lucky in not having any issues with guests yet.... but being so new I was wondering what are red flags for more experienced hosts? What is usually something you see on a persons profile that leads to reject them? 

46 Replies 46
Jann3
Level 10
Santa Rosa, CA

"Joined in August 2017" 

I am absoluely not kidding! Red flag big time! Sometimes these are great people (and I have accepted two so far - and am happy with them in pre-reservation conversation) BUT have had a dozen "inquiries" and "requests" that I've either told that I'm not interested or declined. The main reason for this? The ones w/recent registration and no history really tend to be the ones that are better off in a hotel.

Our area basically has no new hotels/motels (of note) in a decade. There are new small BnB's, motels - like you see in the 70's movies, but big name hotels? No. So, people are trying AirBnB...but the guests *still* require hotel services. Early check-in, late check-out, daily laundry, etc. I turned down one couple because they required daily laundry service and cleaning on a 4 night stay.

Nope...

That is wild. You can do your own laundry haha.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Looking back:

Brutaly blunt types, as if every 'unnecessary' kind word is costing them dearly to express. (The no fun types.)

Discounters. (The battling cheap types).

Those never sure how many they will show up with. (The mysterious types.)

Those that ask about every little detail as if everything is of paramount importance. (Exhausting types.)

Anyone that uses legal terms like 'contract', etc. (The 'lawyer' types.)

Comparers - to past places they have stayed in the past -  "X place is the way a place 'should' be run". (Really?)

Lastly (applicable only to my type of place) - "What happens if a tsunami comes?" In the Carribbean? (The overly fearful type, or have no basic understanding of geography.) 😉

Seriously, it is a feel one develops over the time; it is very much a personal thing. I still will usually accept the above types, but on guard and have an idea how to approach them. Those that are open, sound friendly, are enthusiastic with some degree of humor are my favorites and I know upfront I can relax with.

tsunami can be caused by sismic activity, but also by meteorites falling in the ocean. 

Of course, but the Carribbean tectonic plate is a far cry from that found in the Pacific Ocean. In the last 500 years, 10 confirmed tsunamis are on record, but we are in the ~Western Carribbean~, and behind the 2nd largest reef in the world, and not bordering the Atlantic plate. And one is coming for three (3 days), and starts right off the bat with such fearful questions? I mean really.

As for a meteor falling from the sky... this is way too much for me to handle. 😉

@Fred13

I think meteors falling from the sky would be covered by the Extenuating Circumstances policy.

I personally would let the guest know that if they were vaporized by a meteor, we would issue them a full refund... provided enough of them could be found to issue a refund to.

(This offer is void if the host is also vaporized by the same meteor.)

Hahaha, either way if all that happened at least the guest wouldn't be able to leave a review which dings the host for 'Location'. 

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Hello @Laura-and-Noah0

1. Late for check-in types;

2. Requesting check-in in the morning and check-out evening the next day (saving types);

3. All-lights-on types;

maybe enough, I try to be tolerant 😉

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Steve2743
Level 10
Calgary, Canada

You can usually just tell by the tone of the message whether they're going to be high maintenance, or the never satisfied type, or whatever. It's hard to explain, you just learn get a feeling for people. But off the top of my head...

I generally decline people who ask for a discount (especially a big discount. This isn't a charity, I have bills to pay, too). It's not that I'm opposed to offering a deal (I'll sometimes, without them asking, give a discount if someone extends their stay, refund their cleaning fee if they were exceptionally clean, or offer a discount if they're coming for a funeral), but because it's usually a sign of the never satisfied type, which generally ends with you bending over backwards for them, and receiving a mediocre review for all your extra effort. 

I've never had any major issues with first time Airbnb users. I like to cut people a break because we've all been there trying to get that first review. Some of my best guests have been first time users. But know that most of the time, they aren't quite as clean as experienced users, and often don't give 5 star reviews. 

Steve

I also give a lot of new people a chance. I'm new myself of course. I always feel better when they have reviews but we all gotta help each other out too. 

Hi,  

What if they have been using Airbnb for several years and has no reviews ? I asked this potential guest if he was new to Airbnb because there were no reviews and his reply was 'no I've been using it for several years'. I was hoping he would continue with an answer of why they were no reviews but he said nothing. Should I just come out and ask him why he doesn't have any?

i would come out and ask him... i think it's really werid to have not one single positive review when you've been using it for years. 

If someone has been on airbnb a very long time as a guest and has no reviews I would call that a red flag.  To me that is a sign that instead of leaving a bad review, the host(s) decided to leave no review.  

Absolutely! The guest is asking to stay in your private home. You have every right to ask for an explanation.