Visa

Rachel68
Level 1
Washington, DC

Visa

Hi there,

This is a question for non-US citizens hosting on Airbnb in the US. I'm on an H1B visa in the US, and am planning on renting my room on Airbnb while I'm out of the country for 3 weeks. Did anyone who was or is in a similar situation have an issue with renting their room while on an H1B visa? Or is it acceptable given that it's passive income? Thanks and a quick answer is much appreciated!
8 Replies 8
Neetu-and-Shalabh0
Level 2
Washington, DC

Hello, I am also looking for an answer to the question Rachel raised here. I would like to know if H1B visa holders can use Airbnb and if yes, what are the restrictions. 

Also what tax form we need to fill if we have a H1B, Non-Resident status with Tax-Identification number available? i.e. W-8ECI or W-8BEN?

It is always best to ask someone on the internet for VISA instructions that may affect your ability to stay in the country.

Good choice.

Mike
AirBnB Treehouse for Rent
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/7292887

Hi there 

did u find the answer?

will u please share if u did

thanks 

Chitranjan0
Level 1
Stockton, CA

Hello, did any of you get the answer? If yes, can you please let me know if its fine to host on air bnb on H1b

google it, lots of good information. yes, it is legal. but it is good to talk wth a lwayer.

Hi

me too, I have the same question! I did look up the internet but couldn’t find a clear answer as to what is considered passive income!

thanks

I believe if u charge cleaning fee, then u will need to show that u hired a maid to do that.  Airbnb is like renting out place. 

Beatriz414
Level 1
Sterling, VA

So, did someone find the answer for this?