Tweaking the star rating system - the 5 star system is a hotel category, not an airbnb

Karin36
Level 6
Richmond, Canada

Tweaking the star rating system - the 5 star system is a hotel category, not an airbnb

Using the term "5 star" has certain connotations.  5 stars means high end hotel, not  satisfaction with a stay in a home.  What if we dropped it down to 4 stars, eliminating the 5th star, a category that is mis-understood by the public. 

4 Stars - The lodging met or exceeded expectations

3 Stars - Good guest experience, room for improvement

2 Stars - Unsatisfactory

1 Star - Cannot recommend this place under any circumstances.

Lets use these descriptors to give the public a framework for what they are actually trying to communicate to other guests.

5 Replies 5
Elizabeth10
Level 10
Fort Wayne, IN

I agree and have also mentioned this issue in the community.  Although someone will post telling you its only a small issue when you have otherwise reasonably good reviews -- but you still get the nasty gram email from AirBnb that the last review was low and if it doesn't improve you'll get removed from the listings :((((.  Also, they say that superhosts get top rankings in searches - SO IT DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN THE BOTTOM LINE.

I keep track of each of the star categories along with the combined stars for each trip.  I also  take screen prints of this since it seems to change for no rhyme or reason.  Example:

11/15/2016 - stats said "4.5 overall (5 star trips – 57% of your trips (80% required)"

1/13/17 says 4.5 (5 start trips – 61% of your trips)

Not sure why my rating changed, when I had a 2 month stay beginning in November and ending 1/14/2017.   There were no new reviews but the % went from 57% to 61%.  Makes me think the calculations are not accurate?

Elizabeth10
Level 10
Fort Wayne, IN

PS. One of my first guests even said in the review, "not a 5 star hotel experience" but did not explain other than saying the funiture was not comfortable (but the pics show what furniture is in the living room).  Maybe that is because I did not provide concierge services?

Karin36
Level 6
Richmond, Canada

Thanks for your thoughts, Elizabeth.  I just think we all need to be on the same page about what each star means.  A "4" to someone might mean something different to another person.  Let's define those stars, and do away with the confusing 5* option. 1-4 stars should be enough to give an accurate review.

Leslie7
Level 10
Port Angeles, WA

I agree, guests assume that the star rating is for amenities and not for meeting expectations. Guests should also be encouraged to say WHY they are leaving a less than five star rating.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.