To review or not this guest

To review or not this guest

Hi Everyone, 

My guest and his family just moved out of our place. They left the apartment reasonably clean and in good order so that is fine. However we have reasons to believe that he brought in more guests than indicated to us. At the time of booking he sent in X number of guests thinking the price was the same. He didn't read and is very new to airbnb and has no reviews. It was also a  last minute booking to occupy the day after. After I told him that additional charges apply after 3 guests, he immediately sent in a revised booking for 2 less paying guests with the reason that the maid would not be joining and did not include the child above 2 yrs old.  I repeated to him that the child above 2 yrs old will need to pay but he did not acknowledge. Then we told him that for 6 paying guests, only 3 bedrooms will be opened. Immediately he agreed to paying for the child.  By then we suspected the maid or one other person or possibly more may be smuggled in.

We decided to let it be.  The next day his family arrived first, He said the other family would arrive only later in the evening so my  co host did not get to see all of them. 

It so happened that day the tube to the water dspenser started leaking. We offered to get a new tubing and fix in a few hours but he said it was not necessary as they would buy the water downstairs. We think possibly he was worried about us entering the apartment and therefore see more people.

He has left us a review which is likely a good one as he told my co host he would give a good review. They are the no fuss, good guests except for the possible  dishonesty on his part which we suspect but cant prove. Im worried that if I give him a good review, he can do the same thing to the other hosts easily. But I dont feel comfortable to say anything that he might not have been forthright about the actual number of guests. And we dont mind to host them again. In the end, the money was still good compared with the less people bookings.

Im thinking to not review him at all. What do you think?

Appreciate your thoughts. Thanks

Regards

Mary

4 Replies 4

@Mary348:

It would be wrong to accuse someone if you do not know facts. I would err on the side of caution and not mention it if you cannot prove it.

We would not accuse as we cant prove it though we suspect for the reasons stated. I like to give him a good review but if he was dishonest, it would mislead other hosts.

@Mary348

I would not mention it in the public part of the review (as you say you are not sure anyway) but if you felt strongly enough then mention it privately to Airbnb. If any future hosts have a dispute it may be useful to Airbnb to refer to. But you also may find that some hosts don't mind as their overall concern is the state of the property was satisfactory so you won't really be warning anyone much anyway.

Best Wishes.

Thanks for the feedback. Ill keep in mind  i may give him a good review still.