Third tip for great guests review. It really works!

Blagoje0
Level 10
Split, Croatia

Third tip for great guests review. It really works!

When I stared hosting I forgot to leave hair dryer that was listed in my amenity section. Guest contact me and I came back to the apartment and put hair dryer and chocolade on the door handle. I received a really nice message and later got my first review that even I couldn't write it better. I don't know whether this is a tip or trick, but maybe you could "forget" an item- maybe TV remote:) and do the same. Guests will see you as a reliable host and feel like you take a great care of them. They will leave you a great review! Try it and see:).

12 Replies 12
David-and-Fiona0
Level 10
Panglao, Philippines

I like your other tips but you don't need "tricks" to be a great host. 

I agree, that is why I wrote tip or trick in message. But as a guest I would love that chocolade:).

Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

I'm really overcome with excitement to see what trick number four will be revealed in the next thrilling installment  !

But was it plain or milk chocolate you left for the guest?

If your guest was from Belgium, you could really just stick a bar of chocolate on your blackboard and voila, two birds with one stone.

Babs0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Blagoje0,

As nice as a bar of chocolate is, it could also backfire on you! What if the guests considers it as a sign of not a good host, because they had to ask for something that was listed in the amenities?! 😉

But it sounds like you are having good fun hosting, enjoy!

HI @Babs0

Yes I have a good fun and enjoy hosting and feel so proud when my guests says something like "During our three days in split we exactly did what he suggested and we could not be happier" or "The Apartment was very comfortable and clean, we felt like coming home after our daytrips".

About that bar of chocolade. It really did happen to me with my first guest. Forgot to put a hair dryer and leave it with chocolade later on a door handle. And what a great first review I have. 

Thanks for polite answer:)

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Blagoje0

Sounds risky. What do you do if the guest couldn't be bothered to ask you for the item and then gave you a less than perfect review...

@Andrea9 If someone does it deliberately will know and on his own initiative become guest hair dryer hero:). It happened to me by accident maybe becouse it was my first guest. I know that for my really nice first review credit goes to my entire hosting. Hope you like my other tips:)

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Blagoje0 I'm sure that was the case. I meant that using the forgetting as a regular trick might backfire at some point.

I especially like your tip with the little greeting note in the guest language. I 'll try that with my next guests this week and see what happens. The one with the key is great too.  I'm always around for guests checking out because there is no key drop outside, But I normally tell them upon leaving they were great guests (mine usually all are!) and they'll get a top review.

The notebook one probably works with different accommodations. My guests get a house manual with lots of info. I personally have never liked it much myself when staying somewhere and more or less expected to leave a message in a book, so I don't do the guest book thing, esp. with my guests who are manly very short stays.

Anyway, it sounds like you are very creative! Happy hosting further.

@Andrea9 Thanks for reading my tips. I would love to hear feedback on your guest greeting note reaction!

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Blagoje0

Feedback to my guest greeting note reaction: She left a Thank you or Thanks in her language. The review was a 5-star (the 8th in a row, phew!) but value was 4. And that despite me rescuing her book after check out and meeting her at her breakfast cafe in the neighborhood. Maybe she had another issue or is one of those people who don't realize how expensive hotels here are or how few rooms in traditional city houses here have a separate bathroom... 

But it's still a lovely gesture, and I will continue trying it out  🙂

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

@Blagoje0, I have mentioned before that I like your tips, and I like this one, too, as true "if I forget" rather than staged "hair dryer hero", as you said. 

Just commenting because today a guest texted from our camping spot (treehouse in the woods) to say they saw a mouse outside. I smiled when struck by the mental image of going down to leave a cat and chocolate on the door handle...

@Andrea9

I have been to Tulip Inn Hotel in Amserdam few years ago so I know it isn't cheap. But different people different expectation. However you got your eight in a row 5 star:). Thanks for feedback!