They left young kids on their own (cultural thing?) - do I review?

Adele4
Level 2
Paris, France

They left young kids on their own (cultural thing?) - do I review?

I'm a superhost, and have had 17 super guests and 17 super reviews. Then came this last family, with kids (boy, 6 and girl, 10) who they left alone in our Paris apartment for at least 6 hours when they went to run in the Marathon. I learned of this the day before the Marathon (when we started getting bills for them subscribing to paid sports channels on the cable box, but that's another story), and offered to get them a sitter, as we were not ok with them leaving the kids. They insisted it was fine - that their 10 year old daughter often looked after their 6 year old son. They were from India, living in the Middle East, and maybe it's fine there. But in Paris where they don't speak the language and don't know anyone?? We didn't specify in the house rules that young kids must not be left alone (we will now!). In the end, no harm done (yes, I scraped a few wads of chewing gum off the floors...), and the neighbors had no complaints. So would I recommend them? No, not really. But they seemed very happy and had a nice time, and more or less cleaned up. So do I spoil their magical Paris vacation by complaining? I'd rather not say anything, I guess (I have not gotten a notice from AirBnB that they've left a review so far.) Thoughts?

1 Reply 1

At the end of the day, they weren't in violation of any of your house rules, as you rightly wouldn't have thought to mention this within your listing. And as there was no real harm done, no complaints from anyone else, and they left your property in good condition when they checked out. what have you really got to complain about? The parents of these children are obviously not uncomfortable leaving them on their own for a few hours, which is there prerogative really. If they were decent guests and had a nice time staying at your place, I wouldn't bother mentioning it. Sometimes guests do things that are a bit off.. things that we wouldn't necessarily do ourselves, but you've just got to weigh it up and consider whether it warrants a negative review or not. In this case I think not.