Teenagers

Tawnie0
Level 2
Miami, FL

Teenagers

Can I ask for an additional deposit or discriminate and decline guests under 21 or under 20?

6 Replies 6
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Not per the new anti-discrimination policy. 🙂

How will you know what age they are?  

@Tawnie0

Age is not in the AirBNB non-discrimination policy. At some point, you are "extending credit" to your guests, i.e., trusting them to behave with a very expensive item (your home). Also, with guests under 21, liquor liability and other issues come into play. I've never heard of anyone questioning minimum age to rent a car, for example. And obviously the "big high-school party" or "big college party" is exactly what hosts (and our neighbors, and our local lawmakers) don't want to encourage in our rentals.

Re-read the nondiscrimination policy--I think you are okay saying "no" to teenagers.

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Nope...you can set a security deposit and that's it. 

In any event, it's a false sense of security. If you are so worried about renting to people who look young then don;t - however, there are probably just as many hosts who end up with awful adults staying. 

Most of our guests are young (well most people are younger than  me now anyway) and they are charming, interesting, no a single problem in over a year of hosting. 

Good luck

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Seems something that changes, Age was mentioned at one time, looking now it says:

• Inclusion – We welcome guests of all backgrounds with authentic hospitality and open minds. Joining Airbnb, as a host or guest, means becoming part of a community of inclusion. Bias, prejudice, racism, and hatred have no place on our platform or in our community. While hosts are required to follow all applicable laws that prohibit discrimination based on such factors as race, religion, national origin, and others listed below, we commit to do more than comply with the minimum requirements established by law.
  • Respect – We are respectful of each other in our interactions and encounters. Airbnb appreciates that local laws and cultural norms vary around the world and expects hosts and guests to abide by local laws, and to engage with each other respectfully, even when views may not reflect their beliefs or upbringings. Airbnb’s members bring to our community an incredible diversity of background experiences, beliefs, and customs. By connecting people from different backgrounds, Airbnb fosters greater understanding and appreciation for the common characteristics shared by all human beings and undermines prejudice rooted in misconception, misinformation, or misunderstanding.

I assume the version in force at that time is the one that applies.

David
Julia66
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

@David126 You're right: age was mentioned in the preliminary email that came on 28th October, but not in the one on 1st November.