Tax collection

Paul585
Level 2
Edgefield, SC

Tax collection

I'm in the process of getting set up to host.  The airbnb website tells me what taxes I need to collect, plus the website also directs me to my state (SC) Department of Reveune website for clarification of tax collection.  The state website seems to directly contradict what I'm told by airbnb.  I'm trying to find a phone number of an airbnb office rep to resove the apprarent conflict., but can;t find a number to call.  Is it possible to talk to a real person in the aiarbnb office?

2 Replies 2
Susan618
Level 2
Mexico Beach, FL

Lots of luck trying to get "tax collection info" from AIRBNB.  I have tried numerous times and just tried again this a.m.  I was told my inquiry would have to be "escalated to the Tax & Legal Dept. and that they would be sending me an email, to which I would have to reply and stipulate what my questions are regarding tax collection.  I asked for a direct email address to the Tax and Legal Dept and was told by the rep that he could not give me one and that I would just have to wait for that dept. to contact me.  I have been waiting now after several attempts (which were not documented by Airnb) and I still have not heard a peep or received an email.  Why are they making such an issue of answering questions.  References to tax collection (state by state) are truly vague and unhelpful.

James165
Level 10
Atlanta, GA

I am also set up in SC - Edisto Beach. I just discovered by checking with my city that, although Airbnb says it collects for properties in SC, it does NOT collect for the city. And I can't find anywhere to know whether it does for the county. I can't find anywhere that gives a breakdown of what they do collect - only the total. I don't know if what is remitted is done in my name or simply part of a total Airbnb remits.

If anyone from Airbnb is reading this, PLEASE give attention to this situation. Many cities and counties are going after rentals and we're in trouble if a) we haven't been paying it or b) we have been paying it but have no way to prove it. 

If this can't be fixed, I may have to pull out of Airbnb simply because it is too risky. That would really suck!