Superhost looking for advice about renting out entire apartment

Lisa367
Level 10
Catania, Italy

Superhost looking for advice about renting out entire apartment

Hi everyone!

My husband and I have been hosting for almost 4 years now, we're Superhosts, and currently rent a room in our apartment.  However, we're leaving the apartment at the end of the month, but we own it, and are going to rent it out as an entire apartment (2 bedrooms).   I've come across a lot of bad guests in my time, but I have always felt they could've been worse had we not be living in the house and had some control over how bad they got - so I'm a bit nervous to rent the whole place out.  Is there any advice you can give me?  Perhaps rules that you have implemented over the years in order to keep guests in line and respectful of the house?  I'd love to hear your input.  Thanks!

Note:  There will be nothing of value in the house and I have already put a lock on the laundry room door, which will hold all the linens, etc.  I don't want them doing laundry because I know they will wash a pair of shorts for 2 hours and waste so much water/energy.   In Italy, both are expensive.  Also, I don't want them to have free range of our wide assortment of linens.  The last thing I need is a guest using 25 towels in 2 days.  What else can you think of?

Lisa

1 Reply 1
Jill295
Level 4
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Hi Lisa,

I am also a Superhost. I list both ways. I usually have more reservations for when I am not home. No matter what rules I implement, and they aren’t many, even the best guests screw up. A window left open, the air conditioning set way to low, food left in the refrigerator, wet towels on the bed instead of hung up,etc. I send 3 kind messages to all guests- day before arrival, evening of check in ir on 2nd day, and the last the night before check out. I remind them I am available 24/7 for any emergencies and 10am-10pm for any questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to call even to just say “all’s well “. Nothing works. Guests don’t get it! They think they’re in a hotel no matter what. The only thing I’ve done now is to make sure I return home the day or day after they leave. Which sometimes limits me to blocking dates that otherwise could be rented.