Something want to share for south Korean Cancellation policy

Bobo9
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

Something want to share for south Korean Cancellation policy

I have an unhappy hosting experience with one of my guest from South Korean. The guest book my place for 1 month and  message me last Couple days they would like to move out to another place for long term rent. He request 70% refund. 

I message back to client my policy as it is and no refund from my site. (at the time, i forgot i have accepted the modified korean policy at the time of booking). The guest said he double paid for airbnb and long term rent and he wants to rent my house to others..

off course i said no for this redicious request.

However, the guest cancel the reservation in the middle of their staying and get 50% refund. 

usually we dont have many people like that and we understand everyone have their own difficulty. But as a host, really unhappy to see someone cancel the reservation during middle of staying ans also its last mins notice. AND get refund.

6 Replies 6
Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Bobo9 We learn something new every day, I had no idea South Korea had its own policy that overrides ours.

Can you post a link to it.

@Jeff158 

I host a lot of long-term guests and what happened to you is totally unfair!!!! As a fellow host.....I feel the modified strict cancellation policy does not provide adequate protection towards hosts and favors the guest too much. Given the choice (even though I am Korean myself) from a HOST-perspective I would never agree to this policy. 

But if the guest's stay was 30 days, doesn't that mean the long-term cancellation policy applies? 

@Bobo9

Here is the link.

https://www.airbnb.com/home/updated_cancellation_policies?korean_strict_policy=true#strict

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@Bobo9, it seems ludicrous that the South Korean policy should override policy in Canada, where the listing is located and the business is being conducted. Another ridiculous policy from AirBnb! 

@John1080 wrote:

@Bobo9, Another ridiculous policy from AirBnb! 

I believe that this is the South Korean government's policy that AirBNB had to incorporate in order to allow South Koreans to use the platform. There is a Chinese policy as well, again, enforced by Chinese law.

@Susan151, yes, but it's unreasonable for hosts in other countries to be forced to follow it in their own countries where South Korean law does not apply. Again, AirBnb making a company policy choice which is unnessary and unfairly impacts hosts. 

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

Thanks  @Jessica-and-Henry0  and like yourself, I don't think it applies to this booking.

The link is to a replacement for our strict policy to a south korean strict policy, this only applies if the guest has booked a listing with the strict policy.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/home/updated_cancellation_policies?checkin=22-07-2018&checkout=31-07-2018&k...

It doesn't say anything about it replacing the long term policy which is what's happened to @Bobo9