Self Check-in: How is information provided to guests?

Carlie-and-Sean0
Level 1
Saint Petersburg, FL

Self Check-in: How is information provided to guests?

I'm trying to figure out exactly how guests access the self check-in information that I've added to my listing.  I know that it is available 48 hrs before their trip starts, but is this information emailed to them? Do they have to look in a specific place?

It doesn't appear that any of my guests have found this information easily.

I don't mind sending them a message with the keycode to enter the house, but I thought that the self check-in was supposed provide that information so I didn't need to send it.   

Thank you in advance!

11 Replies 11

I'm under the impression that this information is "shown" 48 hours before hand on the Intinerary which can be found in the guests "Trips" tab. 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/100/where-can-i-find-check-in-information-for-my-trip?topic=371

Peggy--Charlie0
Level 1
Flagstaff, AZ

My last 2 guests have not found their self check in instructions. I'm not sure how to make this easier for them other than not relying on self check in. I didn't find the article from the one reply helpful. 

I'd appreciate any other suggestions. Should I tell them in the instructions that the self check in will be available 48 hours prior to check in?

Peggy 

I had the same issue. Some guest found it, but the last few guests could not find self check in informaton under check in. They said the only see " Contact Host". Every time, I had to go in to my listing copy and paste the message to their message. why it can't be found out easily by confirmed guest? I can't check their phone. 

Thanks for the comment. I'm like you and decided to just message the instructions myself to the guest 24 hrs before their arrival. I just didn't want the hassle of not depending on the self check in that Airbnb provides. Maybe it will improve in the future. 

Braunwynn0
Level 2
Vancouver, WA

I am not sure what is being missed by my guest, some have found the instructions and used it, some have found them and still had issues entering and other have not found it at all. I have contact them and shared that itis key less self- check in and to look for the code, I have even sent the code if need be. I have placed a picture of the lock on the site. Are there any recommendation to how make this easier? I am getting frusrtated with phone call during my work hours. 

Carl28
Level 2
Washington, DC

I have had no luck in guests finding the self check-in instructions, even after I tell them it should be there. Last night I had a guest checking in super-late and did not find it, or the email that I sent a week ago with the instructions (must have been flagged as spam). Those two factors combined with him not being a planner, he texted me from the airport very late saying he hoped I was still up so he could get into the apartment. Luckily I happened to be returning from a trip myself, and had just regained cell service and was able to text it to him.

I sure hope Airbnb pays attention to this and makes it more clear to the travelers!  It would be awesome if 48 hours before arrival the guest received a text message with a link directly to the instructions.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Carlie-and-Sean0

I think the info is only available from the desktop and not via the app.  At least I cannot see info like itinerary and house manual for my bookings in the android app. 

Colleen47
Level 10
Frisco, CO

@Carlie-and-Sean0 My guests have never been able to find the check in information I provided. I initially made it a habbit of messaging the guest upon booking confirmation that Iwould 

contact them a week before with details. Then As their trip approaches I send address, directions from Interstate, and key information. Worked well so far. 

Jack376
Level 1
New York, NY

This post is over a year old but I am still having guests that cannot find check-in instructions.

This results in guests not being able to get in for hours if I am out of reach, or if they arrive in the middle of the night and I cannot hear knocking or phone notifications. Making it unreliable defeats the purpose of having it at all. 

This is probably one of the most important features of the app, as travelers cannot use a computer on the street and may not even have internet access when first arriving in the country. They need to be able to find and download it from their phone at the airport. 

The fact that so many guests are not able to find such important information is a huge problem that needs attention. I searched myself for help from airbnb to relay instructions to my confused guest (as a host I can't see what they see), but all I found was this. That's a problem.

Larisa4
Level 9
Washington, DC

I have had two guests in the past two weeks tell me they don't see it.  Because not doing so risks getting a poor communication rating, I am now going to be sending it to each guest.

Just like Airbnb sends an email to hosts to remind them that an upcoming guest stay is approaching, they should send an email to each guest with a link to the check-in information.

On a related subject, Airbnb should provide an option on each guest reservation to view it as the guest -- this will reduce the load on Airbnb customer service because the host themselves can help the guest navigate (when they ask things like "how do I get a receipt" or "can you give me a breakdown of the cost") and also make it clearer for price negotiations between host and guest if the guest says "I only have a budget for X, can you meet it?"  I have to ask, "What does Airbnb show you as the amount?"

Jennifer1421
Level 10
Peterborough, Canada

I often have guests who are unable to find this info.

In my "thanks for booking" message, I tell them when and where to expect check in info to appear and ask them to contact me the day before their trip if it hasn't shown up. The day before they're due to arrive, I prompt them with a message, which includes double-checking to ensure they've got the check in instructions. About 25% of my guests say they haven't received the info. I suspect it's a user issue, not a site specific problem. The app isn't always very intuitive for newer users, so it's easy to miss the info.

I've saved a message with the instructions for when they don't get the info and just send it off to them then. (Obviously editing the message to enter that guest's code each time).