Security Deposit Upon Arrival

Alexandre330
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Security Deposit Upon Arrival

Hi All,

Is it normal to be asked that a security deposit be paid upon arrival to the host?

I have been told that an extra security deposit payment would be required upon arrival after we booked, paid, and just a few days prior to our arrival. As far as I know no payment would be requested outside of the platform (including security deposit). How should a guest proceed in this case? (the trip is coming up soon, everyone has booked flights and holidays).

The host has only great reviews, verified and superhost status (seems trustworthy - but I want to make sure I don't end up having any surprises).

Thank you

6 Replies 6
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

@Alexandre330

Security Deposits can only be taken through the site, what the Host if proposing is a clear breach of the terms and conditions you booked under.

I am not saying they are untrustworthy, maybe just ignorant about how the system works.

David
Lynn225
Level 2
Aix-en-Provence, France

Hello, we would like to rent out our home, ideally on a weekly basis; it's a very old French domain and it's quite impossible to lock everything away. 

We'd like to ask for a 500€ damage deposit.  Could you tell me how that works ?  I didn't see that option when setting up pricing.

BTW, is there any way to set up pricing so that a family rate can be offered ?  When two couples are travelling, a regular rate could be used.  Thank you for your responses.

@Lynn225   Better to have your own insurance as well as back up.  As @Letti0  says, it's tough to impossible to claim against a security deposit, there are many hoops to jump through  - look here for details. I have one to deter irresponsible guests, past that it seems to be of little to no use.  Also make sure to look at Host Guarantee there are many items and situations that are not protected including antiques and artwork. If your home is shared that is another problem.

@Lynn225 the advice @Ange2 has provided is very good.

You can still set up an Airbnb "Security Deposit", but that setting is not available until *after* you publish your listing. (Which, yes, is very silly. But for some reason that's how it works.)

Once you publish your listing, the "Security Deposit" setting will be on the "Pricing" page in the section labelled "Extra charges"

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Lynn225 There is no real security deposit with AirBnB. You can set one up in your listing, but it's really hard to get any damages from it. As to your other issue. Set your price for 2 and add an additional guest fee for more.

@Alexandre330   You could write to the host for clarification. Here are the security deposit terms.