Screening Ideas?

Casita-By-The-Texas-Bay0
Level 10
Texas, United States

Screening Ideas?

Hello fellow Hosts! 

The residential community (HOA) for my property prohibits renting to "spring breakers" (this area is a popular destination for rawdy college students on spring break)...even when my listing clearly says so, I continue to get requests from young people trying to rent during March...should I completely cross out those days in order to avoid spring breakers renting?

Please share your screening ideas!

I have been able to decline several requests by asking polite questions to the person making the reservation request, but I am afraid somebody would blatantly lie in order to stay at my Casita. 

Thank you so much!

2 Replies 2
Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

In order to weed out the college age spring break crowd, tell your guests you will meet them in person at check-in rather than the self check in system.  If they know someone is keeping an eye on the property, they will be less likely to take advantage of the situation.  I had a group of younger individuals inquire about our listing and when I mentioned we live right next door and meet all checks upon arrival, they found other accomodations. 

Thank you for the suggestion @Linda-And-Richard0 !

Unfortunately I live 10 hours away from my listing, so I have to rely on self check-in...for the moment I just completely crossed out the spring break weeks in March...I know it will hurt the income as those are good weeks, but I do not know what else to do.