Scam or no

Moneah0
Level 1
Baltimore, MD

Scam or no

So i am trying to rent an apartment and the owner said it will go through airbnb is this possible?

This is what he said..

Hello again,
As I already told you in my first email, Airbnb will handle the renting process in my behalf due to my offshore job. I will have to contact the Airbnb agency and provide them all the necessary information so they can start the rental process.For that I will need your full name, rental period with exact move-in date, if other persons will be living with you, your email, phone number and a copy if your ID or Passport if possible.
To secure the apartment you will be instructed to pay just the security deposit of $500 to Airbnb to confirm reservation ( which is fully refundable in case you don't like the apartment ).Only once the deposit is paid an agent will be assigned to handle the visit/ inspection so you will not be able to visit the apartment before the reservation.

5 Replies 5
Moneah0
Level 1
Baltimore, MD

This is the rest 

Once you confirm the payment you'll have two options, I could send you the keys by FedEx or you can meet the agent that will hand over the keys and rental agreement. Please note they require up to 48 hours to process your payment and rental details before they assign the agent that will handle the walk-through and all. The $500 security deposit will be refunded immediately if you don't like the place or once the contract will end if you decide to rent. ( but only If the apartment is not vandalized or something).
If you are satisfied with the apartment all you have to do is to provide a valid ID, pay the first month rent and sign the lease agreement. After you move in, the monthly payment will be sent directly to my bank account. If that is acceptable please provide the requested details and I will submit your application right away. I will send the Airbnb reservation offer to your email and you can take it from there.

Wayne-And-Michelle0
Level 3
Charlottesville, VA

Totally a scam!!! Airbnb doesn't work that way!

Kate157
Level 10
SF, CA

Sorry, @Moneah0, but this is all typical scam language that I have seen many times here. You should flag the listing.

Thank you I copy and pasted it in google and figured it out. I reported 

Good for you! I'm so glad you came here before paying any money. It makes me so angry and sad when I see that someone has lost money and potentially the whole holiday over some scam, but only comes to these pages when it is too later for any of us to help.