Safety and Censorship

Katie97
Level 1
Berlin, Germany

Safety and Censorship

Hi Airbnb hosts,

My last guest, a large man, opened my bedroom door at 5AM and proceeded to walk inside my bedroom in the dark.

I said I was sleeping. He didn't leave. I said I was with someone. He didn't leave. My boyfriend made it known that he was there, he still didn't leave. He walked over to our bed and stood next to us for a while before finally leaving. The next day he said, "Sorry, I didn't know you had company".  I told him it didn't matter if I had company, the problem was him opening my bedroom door and walking into my room at 5AM. And then lingering.

Now it looks like I'm not able to block this person and I don't see an option to report this severe of a safety issue.

There needs to be a special place for reporting issues of safety or potential sexual assault/ rape, as these obviously should take priority. 

I posted a review detailing the facts of what happened, without speculation, and I don't see it on his Airbnb page. I'm not sure if Airbnb took my review down from his page or if it just doesn't show until he also leaves a review for me or the review period is over. Could someone please answer this question for me? Do reviews usually get posted immediately?

I tried to reveiw my guest from last night so that I could see if it would immediately be up on his page, and I got the message "the review period is over", which seems like my account has been temporarily suspended from making reviews.

I originally posted a shorter version of this under the tag "block people" and some of his personal information was censored by Airbnb. Below is what they did not censor.

Thanks,

Katie

He's wearing a black t-shirt and has a trimmed beard in his Airbnb profile photo. He goes by *** and is a superhost. His profile:

You have reported this user. Undo?
 [Personal Information Hidden]

Hello.

I am a technologist with over 15 years of experience in computing: Programming, Databases, Web, Networks, VOIP.

I love sports. I play competitive rugby and football (soccer). I also regularly enjoy swimming, cycling, table tennis, chess, and gaming.

I have lived for extended periods in Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Ecuador, and Peru. I have visited other countries in South America as well.

About me as a guest: As an introvert I enjoy spending time alone, however I am friendly and very much enjoy meeting people and conversing as well as participating in social activities. I appreciate tidiness. My favourite musical instrument is the guitar, which I do play personally for enjoyment if I am near one.

7 Replies 7
Karin38
Level 3
San Diego, CA

Yikes!
Rainey0
Level 2
Colorado, United States

For starters you should probably invest in a lock for your bedroom door. I personally have a complety locked-off rental space. I would never dream of letting strangers enter my actal house.  But that's besides the point... 

Why have you not contacted AirBnB directly? This seems like a serious safey concern that they will take seriously. Perhaps shorten your descripton of what happened to get your point across better to whomever reads it at AirBnB. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Call BNB now - they need to know immediately. Not only was this guy a guest but from what you have said here also a host.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

The Mods would edit your post for personal information, they are not ABB.

Sounds more like a Police issue.

David
Lauren18
Level 5
Tucson, AZ

It is likely that this man would have raped you, had not your friend been there.  As such he is a danger to women. PERIOD.  

Call  415-800-5959 (AIRBNB) and stay on the line until you get someone.  Tell them what happened, and that AIRBNB needs to take responsibility for blocking this user, as a host as well as a guest, or you will contact the police.  Tell them (and the police) that you have a witness, namely, your boyfriend.  AIRBNB has a responsibility to you, and to other women, to protect against rape. PERIOD.

For yourself - I do not rent to men in my household, because I know that travelling women feel safer that way, and so do I.  I know that I'm missing out on a lot of great male guests, but this just makes it easier.  Women can have problems, but statistically they do not rape or sexually assault people.  

Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Yikes, scary!

Firstly, yes, report him to Airbnb immediately!

Second, reviews are not posted immediately.  Reviews are posted once both parties leave a review or when 14 days have gone by - whichever is sooner.  This is probably why you do not see the review on his page yet.

Karen-and-Will0
Level 10
Maryland, United States

I have to say I agree with the comments already posted and would strongly encourage you to call Airbnb.  As a former prison nurse I have heard some scary stuff in my day.  However, as a nurse I’m also wondering if he was sleepwalking??  Doesn’t in any way excuse what happened but I’m just wondering…