Request from new guest with no reviews...

Malou1
Level 2
Taguig, Philippines

Request from new guest with no reviews...

Can anyone help me I am a new host and i have a request with only email address and telephone number verified, no review yet and only this January member. 

5 Replies 5
Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Malou1,

Welcome to the Community Center! It can be nerve-wracking to accept a guest with no previous reviews, especially as a new host. It is completely your choice as to whether you feel comfortable with it or not. All guests need to start somewhere, so if no hosts accepted new guests they'd never be able to stay anywhere, but at the same time, you may want to get more experience hosting before you feel prepared to host a new guest.

You may find it useful to look at this thread with tips for new hosts.

Just to let you know, I have moved your post here to a new thread so that it doesn't get lost in another discussion. It will be easier for others to find it here and hopefully give you more advice! I have also given it a title, please let me know if you want to change it!

Kirstie

Thank you Kirstie for your advice.

Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

A vast majority of guests are new to the Airbnb system.  Take this opportunity to explain to your guest how to get the most out of Airbnb.  Welcome them to Airbnb, let them know it's important they complete their profile and proceed through the verification process.  Educate them that prospective hosts would like to know a little bit about them before accepting their reservation and without this important information filled in, they may have a hard time getting a reservation.  Ask them questions about their travel - why are they coming to the area?  Who are they traveling with?  What do they plan to do when they arrive?

Hi - thanks for this advice; I have a follow-up question:

I just listed my space for the first time as a new host, and I've received 4 requests almost immediately from people who have just joined airbnb in the last 30 days, and they provided no info about themselves nor travel. I don't want to get into a strange back and forth, but is it common to just ask the questions you mention, and then just decline if they don't provide it to my satisfaction?

I'd much rather rent to someone with at least some verification and/or prior reviews, but if many folks are new to airbnb, I don't want to be foolish about it either and exclude a bunch of people.

Lastly - are there any scam situations that I should be aware of toward new hosts that might come from profiles on airbnb that were just created?

Cheers,
Paul

@Paul489  You can set Verified ID as a reservation requirement.  If you are using a laptop, go to Manage Listing.  To the left you will see a link for Reservation Requirement.  Click on it and check the box for Verified ID. 

The best protection is to always communicate through Airbnb's messaging and never go to any external links even if a guest tells you they found your listing on another site.  

Also, as is the case with any website you deal with (bank, Ebay, Amazon, etc.) do not respond to requests to verify your login information even if the message says your account will be deactivated.  This is a phishing scam to capture your information.  

Here is a helpful link to identify real Airbnb emails: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/971/how-do-i-know-if-an-email-is-really-from-airbnb