Refunding a guest due to construction noise

Cat9
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

Refunding a guest due to construction noise

I have a woman staying with me right now who works at night as a nurse and obviously sleeps during the day. After she booked her stay with me, my upstairs neighbor moved out. There's been construction for three days as they are installing new hardwood floors and it's been so loud she hasn't been able to sleep. I would like to give her a refund for all three days of construction as a gesture of apology for the noise, since a quiet home is something she was looking for. 

I have never run into this issue. If anyone could advise, I would greatly appreciate it!

2 Replies 2
Kimberly71
Level 3
Haugesund, Norway

I have a similar issue and am looking for guidance. What did you do? Anyone? 

Susie5
Level 10
Boston, MA

Hi @Cat9, sorry this has happened!  Go to your reservation for that person ( you can click on it in the Calendar view, for example), then go to "Change or cancel reservation" - in that set of options you can change the price.  If they have already left, you can go to the Resolution center and change the price to effectively zero and give them a refund. 

I wonder if they are actually expecting a full refund, however. Have you thought of a partial refund, e.g. half the price?  It's a bit unusual to expect to sleep during the day and if the guest didn't specify this in advance, you might not be realistically expected to guarantee a quiet space. In my neighborhood the gardening crews come out with their blowers, the planes take off from the airport, etc.  You could ask the person what would make her happy - if she insists on full refund, then so be it, but I wouldn't assume that is what she expects if she hasn't already expressed that. I'm not sure I would be able to guarantee a totally quiet sleeping experience during the day, even in my generally calm and quiet neighborhood.